2.7 TDI cold start misfire

Dan3222

Hi all,

So I have taken the time to read all the posts on here regarding a misfire, got excited with one of the more recent threads as Brad-B5 (think it was his user name) suggested this fault for someone else's 'judder' issue.

It's a 2006 2.7 TDI. There has been several cold starts when there has been a limited throttle response when setting off, while becoming a little more frequent it always goes away quickly.        Today, starts straight away as usual (lovely starter this car). Put her in D and set off and a misfire occurs, remains at idle and when selecting R. Went away after 20-30 seconds. No engine light came on which I would have expected!

I will get fault codes read tomorrow (if I can it being bank holiday Monday). However, has anybody come across this before? Would genuinely appreciate any feedback to point me in the right direction as I will fix it myself and then post what I have done with the final fix, well here's hoping anyway.

Dan

Hi Dan

Maybe best to see what codes are flagged up first and go from there as it could be one of multiple systems causing the problem.

Will wait to hear what you find out and I'll jump back in then with some possible solutions.

Cheers  Trevor

Cheers Trevor,

Even though the warning light never came on I would assume the ECU would log a misfire. 

Going to have to take it on Thursday as local garage is closed today.

So, no fault codes logged by ECU!?! Frustrating to say the least.

A good pal has leant me a reader that I can have plugged in for live data for a few weeks, will see if anything occurs while I have it.

Brad-B5 you seemed to know this issue as you stated it on someone else post regarding a misfire. Can you comment on what you believed it was Mate?

As always in faults like this no idea is stupid and is gratefully received.

Dan

Bump to the top!

Had the misfire again today. I have loaned a code reader for a week or so and that still shows no codes.

I am going to change the fuel filter and double dose with Millers fuel treatment to see if it helps. But would really appreciate any other pointers please guys.

best place to start is with fuel filter, a fuel treatment won;t hurt either . you could also get your glow plugs checked out although they usually throw a fault code in the  ECU when there's and issue. 

Does it miss fire when you rev it out of gear or just when you attempt to drive off? 

My standard advice with poor running on a diesel is to start with fuel, especially when there are no errors for faulty sensors, etc. Even with a clear filter there is also a strainer in the tank, which after many miles can start to clog up.

• Like 1

Cheers Dazza, 

funnily enough it's had a replacement tank at some stage so it might be worth dropping the tank (unless there is access to top of tank under rear seats?) to have a look in there.

i don't use the glow plugs on start up. These engines start fine without, just like the T5. 

Yes, judder was there on idle and in gear, though it started in gear. But, there has been the odd morning when there has been hesitant power.

going to give her a good service in next couple weeks, including new fuel filter of course. 

I will of course update as I go.

• 3 months later...

To leave Kelly's thread alone thought I would put an update on here about Raven, the Megan destroying dog.

Some how she seems to be pulling round. Her swellings are rapidly reducing and she is up and walking only 24hrs after the accident. It quite genuinely is a miracle. 

Joe Cott, unfortunately mate she is not insured and the accident happened 1 mile away from the house. I wasn't actually there but arrived home as my girlfriend arrived home with the dogs thanks to an extremely kind chap who gave them a lift home. If it wasn't for him she would have died for sure. She has cuts all over the place, too many to count actually. No broken bones but a bad head trauma but she is responsive and remembers us so fingers crossed all good. Last night she had a 1 in 10 chance of surviving, now 7 in 10. Time will tell.

While I am obviously dreading the bill I don't really care, it's just money after all and I would have spent it on my A6 or the T5 on something that boosts my ego rather than actually needing anything.

Thank you for the kind words guys and girls, appreciated.

• Like 1