Upgraded brake pads advice

Bigdave

So I've just come back from a fantastic weekend at the Nurburgring, my A4 was brilliant in both the wet and dry over the two days I was on track.

The only things I'm looking to do now is upgrade my brake pads for something better able to cope with heat. The discs I will sort and pop some good quality drilled ones on, help the heat dispersal.

Has anyone used upgraded pads on a B8? 

I was hoping for some Brembo pads, but so far I can't seem to find anything.

A big brake upgrade is always going to be best for avoiding brake fade but, if you don't want to go for that then drilled and groved disks with road/track pads, EBC being the most popular and fresh brake fluid (this gets rid of any water in the old fluid which has a lower boiling point). Will make a big difference too. Will it be enough for the 'ring' I guess experience will tell.

Dont forget though that performance pads only work well when warmed up. On daily road use the first few times used each day will not be that good until heat gets into them.

Just now, Dan3222 said:

A big brake upgrade is always going to be best for avoiding brake fade but, if you don't want to go for that then drilled and groved disks with road/track pads, EBC being the most popular and fresh brake fluid (this gets rid of any water in the old fluid which has a lower boiling point). Will make a big difference too. Will it be enough for the 'ring' I guess experience will tell.

Dont forget though that performance pads only work well when warmed up. On daily road use the first few times used each day will not be that good until heat gets into them.

Let us know what you decide to do.

10 hours ago, Dan3222 said:

Let us know what you decide to do.

I've been having a look through. I'm not doing a 3k upgrade it's simply not needed on a road car.

I've no intention of buying track pads either, EBC pads are not the best anyway and like you say the warm up time is just silly for a car that spends 99% of its time on road. So I'll just stick with the Brembo road pads, simple good quality kit and I'm sure will cope with the odd play day just fine.

We're looking to buy an Audi TT 8N 225bhp Quattro as a track car, so I'll save the more sporty bits for that. It'll be fun building it from scratch so I'll see how it goes once I have the car.

On 14/09/2017 at 6:23 PM, Bigdave said:

I've been having a look through. I'm not doing a 3k upgrade it's simply not needed on a road car.

I've no intention of buying track pads either, EBC pads are not the best anyway and like you say the warm up time is just silly for a car that spends 99% of its time on road. So I'll just stick with the Brembo road pads, simple good quality kit and I'm sure will cope with the odd play day just fine.

We're looking to buy an Audi TT 8N 225bhp Quattro as a track car, so I'll save the more sporty bits for that. It'll be fun building it from scratch so I'll see how it goes once I have the car.

The TT will be fun. 

Yesterday I had the pleasure of driving around Scotland in the new Civic type R. 316bhp of awesomeness!! This car has the Nurburgring record at the moment for a front wheel drive car. I am still smiling some 24hrs later.

• Haha 1