Rear brake pad sensor replacement

Hugo

Hi all,

I am new on here, recently purchased my first Audi, it's a 2006 A3 S LINE 2.0 TDI.

The brake pads warning light is on, checked pads all round, front are fine but the rears are bare, I bought a set of Bosch rear brake pads and they advised in the description that they are "prepared for wear indicator", but when received there was no sensor inside, just the 4 pads along with 4 bolts. Please can someone advise further as to whether there is even a sensor on the rear brake pads, or how I am supposed to reset the warning light once the brake pads are fitted? Is there something I need to do whilst fitting the pads or do I need to buy a separate replacement sensor etc?

The other warning light is for the number plate light bulbs, I have however checked the numberplate lights and they are both working, can anyone tell me why this warning light may still be on and how I can reset it?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Hugo,

Just out of curiosity when you checked the front pads did you take them out to inspect them? The reason I ask is that the ware indicator will come on while there is what you would think is still significant material left on the pads. The only way to tell is to take the pads out and if there worn down enough you'll see the indicator contacts in the suface of the pad.

Another possibility could be that the contact is severly corroded or the wire can sometimes snap right next to the caliper.

I may be wrong but it's possible your number plate warning light may actually be related to the brake ware warning! (Did they happen to occur at the same time?). 

I've come accross strange issues like this before! Like on both my old 2003 A3 and A4 you could have the glow plug warning light come on for a rear brake light out, figure that one out! 

Apparently some warning systems can be on the same electrical circuit.

So if you haven't already I say it'll be worth taking out the front pads to phyically inspect them.

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1