key fob locking / opening

trik

Hi all, hope your well.

i got a audi a4 estate 2003 1.9 diesel.

ive not long had it & when i got the car the seller only had 1 key / key fob to pass to me, (so i only got 1 key / fob.)

ive read a few things on the net, 

my thing is 1- im looking for abit of help ..please... 2-my problem..haha...with the car...not me personally, haha..

all doors & tail gate is closed. 

i zap the key fob to lock.

& nothing happens.

so i read that it could be simple fuse, or a costly vacum pump.

i sat in the car & i pressed the all door lock on the button inside the car, this looks all the car. 

i got friend to try the key fob to unlock it & nothing.

tried the key in the driver door & nothing . same on  the tail gate.

opened the car with the same button that i pressed to lock it inside the car all opened & you can hear the central lock all go click (on the locking as well as the unlocking).

i have changed the battery in the fob, (no joy).

i will check the fuse's tomorrow. (hopefully be my fix).

i read that it could be a vac pump. at a cost.

i read that the pump is in the back right hand side for the car. but i read this on a car not an estate. is this pump in the same place.?

if i get down to this pump whats the chance it could just be a air pipe split.?

is there any way i can check this pump befor i remove it.?

any other things that it could be or i can check,?

i have a Autel MD802 OBD2 Code Reader  car diagnostic machine, its fairly good you no. i used it on a e320 merc & it told me about the bad injector. i would recomend the unit. but not sure if it work on my above fob issue.

any ideas please...thanks

thanks all, if i dont hear form you..enjoy the nice weather..how long it last...is anyones guess.

laters.

Hi Trik, 

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear your having issues with the key/locking system. 

Could you confirm that you only have one key which will not unlock the doors when you press the locking button on its fob and when you put the key in the door lock and turn please?

hi ya adbro mate,  thanks for your reply.

i see you location is nuneaton ...( birmingham...i take it,. ..my birth place....but over in ireland for the 2nd half  of me life ,.for 22yrs )

but yes, brought the car the other day, well me dad brought it, i has the 525tds 1998 bmw e39 & he as the e300 td 1999 w211 merc both cars, but he wanted a estate to move & fetch a few things, & it was / is cheaper than hiring a van & then the mother as a car to run about in. 

to answer your question , yes mate, the guy he buy the car from only had 1 key/ fob which seems nothing wrong with it,  but with circuit board, who can tell by looking at it unless you take it into a electronic's place were they can test them. (if there is such place that can test these little things,)

thanks for warm welcome aswell mate, haha... 

Hi Trik,

Yes I'm not that far away from Birmingham.

One of the keys to my last A3s central locking button stopped working. On handing the car over for part exchange I told the salesman. He said that it was a common problem with keys going out of sync and just needs reprogramming. 

Link might help you

• 5 weeks later...

hi adbro, (all)

so sorry im only getting back now,  hope u all well.

but any way, i have a Autel MaxiDiag Elite MD802 For 4 System DS Model. it plugs into a car & reads the codes & lets you reset.

so we changed the battery in the fob, pluged in the car, it did give us a few codes (we wrote them down to check them out at a later date) then reset the system.

since this the car as been locking / unlocking all the time... touch wood it carrys on working.

the above autel car reader is a great little tool.

thanks adbro. & all.

talk to you later & very sorry im late getting to reply.