SatNav map updates

HAB

Hi all, I'm a new member with a question. The SatNav is over three years old on my Audi A6 3L Quattro. Dealership charges for updating as you will know are £260 plus. They tell me that this can only be carried out in a dealership workshop. Does anyone have better ideas?

Hi Howard, I'm not sure if you can buy an SD card from somewhere else with the updated version already loaded but I'd be wary of not getting a genuine Audi one.

If you don't really need or use the sat nav that often then I'm sure the cost of an updated version won't be worth it. I have a 2014 car and the sat nav has never been updated and it works fine when I use it occasionally. 

Thanks Jim, I am coming to the same conclusion. I made the silly mistake of buying an upgrade online which looked authentic as far as I could see. Not the case, the site credential and email exchanges were very detailed, but the SD card arrived in a jiffy bag without any paperwork. The instruction to copy a file sent by email as an add-on didn't work because the SD card was `Read Only', which makes sense. Then they ceased to communicate! The `writing on the wall' was clear: I had been scammed! Fortunately I did not attempt to load it in the car. The credit card company are now chasing matter up. It will be interesting to hear what they say.

For the benefit of others the site calls itself SatNavUpgrade.com. There is also a similar one called SatNavUpgrade.co.uk. Neither are registered at Companies House, or I'll wager, anywhere else.

I certainly would bother with the updates if it's just occasional use.

Glad you didn't put it into the car as you never know what damage it might have done but we learn from our mistakes and we've all done it.

Sorry to hear you were scammed and hopefully you'll get a refund from your credit card company.

Good shout to put the names up, hopefully save someone else getting the same.

Yeah, I'm just outside Glasgow. It's probably a company somewhere in India or something using a Glasgow address 😡