A3 Cutting out

Richard owen

Hi All,

Firstly many thanks for letting me to join your club. I'm wondering if anybody else has had this same problem as me.

I've had my A3 for 2 years and love it but for some reason has started to cut out for no reason takes a few turns of the key to get going again after a couple of miles happens again. I have had a Audi chap look at it but no codes came up on his code reader. the garage are saying I should change fuel pump diesel rail what ever that is and some other sensors. They said it will cost about £2500 to get to the bottom of the problem. I was wondering if anybody else has had a similar experience with their car and how they fixed the issue.

many thanks in advance

Rich

• 2 months later...

Yes I had similar issue with my a4 1.9. Presuming yours is a 2.0 tdi? They are similar engines anyway. 

I plugged mine in with vcds to have no codes. I checked the in tank lift pump as these are common and had about 5 bar to the high pressure pump. All good. 

With limited tools at the time in the way of testing I couldn't check the output pressure of the TANDEM pump so went for a 2nd hand replacement from a 2.0 which is a direct fit. It cured the issue for about 12 months then started to have a misfire on idle but not when driven. Which turned out to be the crank sensor. 

Hope this helps. Not much goes wrong with the pd engines, so should be a simple fix

Chris