Steering Judder Low Speed??

Adam B

Hi All,

Hope someone can help?

I have a 2009 A4 Avant 2.0TFSI S-Line and have noticed that when I am turning my wheel when parking or turning in the road I get a judder come through the steering wheel? Doesn't happen when I am driving normally or when turning around a bend/roundabout....

Thanks for your help/comments in advance 

Adam

Ok,  there is a very good chance it’s the outer CV joint part of the drive shaft or shaft that has gone. But usually you would here clicking  too.

Are the tyres very unevenly worn perhaps?

In fact you could try putting the rear wheels onto the front to see if it acts the same. Costs nothing but a bit of time and helps point even more to other parts like drive shafts if it behaves the same.

Hello Adam,

As with all such things, it’s wise to eliminate the simply things first, and I would be following on from Dan’s question and wanting to know exactly how serviceable the tyres are. This would not be a walk around and kicking procedure, but removing the wheels for a thorough examination. I’m sure that if you have a favoured local tyre supplier, they would carryout this investigation for you and you could then ask them to do as Dan suggests and swop the fronts for the back. While there, you could ask them to assess the car for any steering or suspension wear. Personally, I would not have any wheel alignment work carried out at this stage, just get the tyres checked and swopped around. 

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on Adam.

Kind regards,

Gareth.