Audi A6 AWD Conversion

Matthew Bowker

Hi everyone,

This is my first time posting a forum topic on Audi Owners Club so hopefully I get this right.

Basically I have a bit of a project car idea in mind and I'm looking for some advise. My Dad has driven a Audi A6 C5 since he purchased it second hand in the early 2000's. It's a FWD 1896cc diesel which has had zero mechanical problems; the only thing he has had trouble with is the ECU which got flooded with autumn leaves a few years back. Just over a year and a half ago he decided to retire the A6 when he got himself an Audi A4 2014 reg and has given me the A6. 

Since then I've been wondering whether I could turn this car into something a bit more exciting so with that in mind, is it possible to convert this FWD Audi C5 into a AWD 'Quattro' with (mostly) bolt on parts? Or would the whole body of the car need to be cut up and altered to get the drivetrain/shaft in? My guess would be the chassis and frame is the same as the Quattro variants sold in 2000 but I don't know, any insight would be appreciated.

If possible I plan to swap the engine with something with more power like Audi's 1.8T petrol and other upgrades for some track fun.

Look forward to hearing from you in advance. Matt