Buying an A4 B7 2.0t s line, what to look for.

SquamptonMJ

Hi guys, I'm a newbie to this forum and to Audi's, I've owned BMW's and Mini's in the past but want to switch over and couldn't think of a better place to start than surfing forums. 

I'm going to view a 2005 A4 2.0t s line sedan on Sunday, its on 125k miles with full service history. I was wondering if anyone can help me with what whether this milage is too high? And what I need to look out for to make sure its it's going to last a while and not leave me out of pocket in the near future?

Much appreciated. 

Hello Jake, 

Since you unfortunately haven’t had any responses, I thought I would add my five penneth on a general basis, incase any of it helps:- 

‘125k miles too high’? You have to appreciate that the car is not far off 15 years old, and even with the old 12k mikes per year average (too low to be still realistic in this commuter era in my view) the car might well have covered 180k, so 125 can be said to be low for the age. Having said that, it’s worth keeping in sight the fact that you are buying an old car, and as important as it might first appear that service history is all important, it can simply indicate that it has spent an occasional few hours in a workshop from time to time! 

If you know your way about cars then a meaningful inspection should be possible. If you don’t, then I’d make sure I take along someone who does, or get it independently inspected. You don’t give us any clue to your area ( bit confused by the use of the American term ‘sedan’),  but it might be worth looking up an Audi independent near where the car is being sold and asking them to give it a once over. 

To me, more important that service history, would be overall inspected condition and (in caps) how long the last owner has owned it. If not very long, then it might do well to walk away. 

Private sale or dealer? Where advertised? 

Pardon my ignorance about this engine, but is this the one running on a timing chain? If so, tensioners problematic? 

Not sure if any of this is going to help. 

Hope it turns out to be a nice car.

Kind regards,

Gareth.