Losing lots of coolant with white smoke

Sparky001

Hi

I have a A3 1.9tdi 2007 and using lots of water quickly (2 litres in 30 min drive) . I have removed the EGR cooler and noticed that there water coolant residue in the cooler and then was oil and water in the egr valve and also the inter cooler pipe and traced it back to the inter-cooler. One side of the inter-cooler was fine the other side was a watery oily sludge. So I am assuming that water is enter the engine from the inter-cooler and then to the exhaust as I am having a lot of white smoke out of the exhaust. But I take it that the inter-cooler is air to air so not sure where the coolant is being lost. i have done a coolant pressure test and doesn't lose any pressure.

Do not think its the HG as no sludge or bubbles in the header tank etc.  

Any suggestions would be great!

Strange Mark, since you are losing significant volumes of coolant, yet you say you have pressure tested the coolant system and there is no loss of pressure - defies logic a bit. 

Forgetting the white smoke etc. one explanation for the above might be a faulty reservoir cap, since you obviously remove this to carry out your pressure test. 

Unlikely explanation?? but worth interchanging it with a known good one? Simply comes under the heading of low cost elimination. 

Kind regards,

Gareth.