Steering Issue 2005 A4 Avant S line

Madjock

Hi 

Driving home tonight on a lung straight road and heard a clunk as though something hit the car. Carried on to next Junct tried to turn right and it took quite a bit of pulling . Carried on for 8 miles and only real prob was turning around roundabout steering quite heavy. Be grateful for some ideas. Thought I could smell hydraulic fluid but not sure. As it’s dark couldn’t see sod all. 

Hello Peter,

You mention the smell of hydraulic fluid, but OK, silly question - is your power steering system hydraulically driven or (as more usually), electrically?

Whatever, something has obviously changed, and on a pessimistic note, I think it’s unlikely that anyone could make an accurate diagnosis without inspecting the car, so the chance of finding an answer on here in in very short term might be pretty slim. 

Since this is obviously a safety associated problem, if it were mine, I would be getting a trusted local garage to inspect this without delay, and if this now (inevitably?) means waiting until Monday earliest, then it’s likely a local tyre retailer would be able to look it over this weekend. 

Perhaps you could let the forum know how you get on.

Kind regards, 

Gareth.

Update- Trusted Mechanic Came round and it was the auxiliary drive belt had shredded. Managed to get replacement belt and a new tensioner thingi as it had sheared off. 

Being done tomorrow thankfully

• Like 1