3.0 TDI Quattro avant 2007 cutouts ?

Xpfalcon1965

Hello I’m Darren and I’m new to the site.

i have just purchased a used Audi avant Quattro 3.0 tdi, I had tested the car as best that can be tested and the previous owner was a straight up guy so no problems there.  On my second day of owning my new chariot it just stumbled and cut out, I tried a restart a few times and it just ran rough for 20 seconds and then died. The AA guy diagnosed it as a crank sensor, so we towed it back to the garage and I changed the sensor, still no difference at all and after a while it flagged up again.  After using the vagcom software it showed as erratic fuel pressure?  

Im lost on this one and could desperately do with some ideas please.

cheers 

Hello Darren,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear you are having issues so soon after owning the car, and that the diagnosis appears variable. 

I take it you purchased the car directly off the registered keeper (how long had he owned it?) rather than a used car dealer. 

I think it would be useful for you to take advice on how the car matches the advertisement description, since even with a private sale the  vehicle has to be a described - hence seller’s backside-covering descriptions such as ...’ Starts, drives, stops..’ .

Of course, common sense normal wear and tear has to be considered in respect of the fact that it is now c13 years old, but you would expect it to at least be drivable, unless the issued receipt - and therefore conditions of sale - stated something along the lines of ...Sold as seen, tried and accepted’. This is likely to influence the importance of the advertised description, but should not negate it. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth,

i don’t suspect any foul play, I had a fair 45 minute test drive and then the next day drove to work and then drove to pick the boys up from judo lesson and that was when it just died, some times these things are just bad luck and unfortunately this appears to be the case.  

Is it common for these Audi v6 on 131k to jump a tooth on the timing ? Or fail in similar ways ?

regards 

If it's showing erratic fuel pressure/delivery, it could be something as simple as a clogged fuel filter. You'd be surprised with diesels how many issues like this are down to the fact that the fuel filter is full of crap.

The timing gear is chain driven, not belt, so if it's jumped you'll really know about it...