Audi Coupe GT project

L90E

Hi All

I've recently bought a 1984 Coupe GT (pre facelift) which hasn't been on the road for many years. It's the 2,144cc KE engine.

Currently trying to get it started. It has spark on all 5 plugs and new coil and I've checked over all the vacuum hoses and they look OK, so I believe it's a fuel issue.

It has a new fuel pump. I've had all the injectors properly cleaned and tested. I now have injectors 1 and 4, and the cold start valve spraying a nice mist/shape on cranking and it does catch and try to start initially, then dies off fairly quickly (I assume when the cold start valve stops spraying). Injectors 2, 3 and 5 do not spray, and there is no fuel when I crack the fuel lines off at those injectors, or at those ports on the metering head, when cranking. There is also no fuel from the metering head return back to the tank.

I assume the fuel pressure is OK because some injectors are spraying correctly and they only do that if there is sufficient pressure. I'm wondering if the pressure control valve in the metering head is somehow sticking, but I had it out and it looked OK. Or perhaps the metering head is blocked internally. I have taken out the small basket filter on the inlet banjo to the metering head so it's not clogged up there.

Does anyone have any experience of the seal rebuild kits for the metering head? I know you need to be really careful to get everything back in perfectly/cleanly.

Also, at the rear of the car, there is only a fuel pump - no filters or accumulator. I've bought a new filter (large metal canister type) as obviously want to get that on ASAP, however can't work out where exactly it should go. Does anyone have the same / similar car who could post a photo up please? There is a carrier/bracket in the car which seems to fit near (but not under) the fuel pump and I assume holds 1 or more of those units. Attaching some photos of what's there. The holder around the pump is one I bought off eBay and isn't attached to anything!

Any help much appreciated!! Many thanks.

IMG_20200703_131429808.jpg

IMG_20200703_131547959.jpg

IMG_20200703_131607479.jpg

IMG_20200703_131646878.jpg