Which oil filter?

bowline5

The V6 petrol A4 is due an oil and filter change. Eurocarparts list two different filters for my engine, what might be the reason for the alternatives, and which is the better brand for the money? They offer Bosch, Mann, Crosland and Fram and researches suggest that Mann is probably the original factory fit, but there are two of them, at 12.99 or 19.99. Which one, and why?

Hello Derek,

To your last point:- If you are asking for a recommendation on brands, just don’t use Crossland - now a bought out (by Europarts) brand name. If you want to move away from a genuine VAG one at discount, then I would only use Mann or Bosch. 

Can I ask why Euro Car Parts? Anything to do with their attractive discount prices on so called retail prices? If so, in fact, you can usually buy parts cheaper off their subsidiaries! Strange but true. 

ECP and their suitability listings? Like many other on line listings, these can be wildly off the mark. 

Correct one? Take the make and number off your existing one and then cross reference that to the equivalent Mann or Bosch one, or simply buy a genuine one mail order at discount by just quoting your reg. number. You could try Discount Audi Parts at Cardiff - there are more inc. TPS. One thing worth considering in the DIY activity - your labour is cheap! so invest in quality parts. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks for the comments Gareth, you echo my thoughts about going for Mann or Bosch.

Why ECP? Principally for convenience in that the website is easy to use, the local branch is close by and for service parts I have found their prices reasonable. That said I use them just as much for research as for buying, for instance even eBay beats them hands down for branded windscreen wipers!

I haven't looked at the existing filter yet but given that the car is 18 years old and not been in Audi workshop for a few years I doubt it's a VAG unit for comparison, we'll see.

Derek

Hello Derek,

It doesn’t really matter whether the current filter is VAG or not, but if it has a readable brand and number then you will have all you need for cross reference to find the correct equivalent Mann or Bosch one. 

ECP. Not sure what can be more convenient than ordering on line from other suppliers who more often than not, offer better prices, with parts delivered to your door - particularly in these troubled times.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi again Gareth,

I looked at Discount Audi Parts Cardiff, they don't list parts for cars before 2004. Other sites may have clumsy search engines, one lists more than 30 brands of filter, some disagree about what fits and state in big red letters that a Mann 940/20 is not compatible with my car while others specify it for my engine type. Often any price saving is more than negated by the shipping costs. That's why over the years I have tried ECP for a first look and widened my search if need be. Yes they might be a long way from perfect, but find me another supplier who isn't.

There was a time I did all my own service and maintenance, that's changed in recent years but money pressures mean I need to start doing it again and learn anew where to spend my cash to best effect. I think I know what I'll find when I get under the car, and I think I know what I'm going to buy.

Thanks for your help

Derek

Hello Derek, 

It’s probably me, but I’m not really following the logic.

‘ I think I know what I’ll find when I get under the car, and I think I know what I’m going to buy’ - not quite following this. 

Indeed, if you are happy with ECP and their prices and discounts, then that’s great. It seems you are still at loggerheads to know the part number for the correct filter from them, but I can’t now suggest anything else other than repeating - find the part no. off your current  one and cross reference to the correct one for the brand you choose.

Good luck and kind regards,

Gareth.