Number plate lights issue! HELP PLEASE!

Speckle

Hi guys I have a really strange issue. I have an Audi A5 cabriolet facelift 2012. I had the car a year ago now and after a few weeks a number plate light went so I went and replaced them with similar new ones which are led. After some fiddling they went in sound now problem and have worked ever since. Went to turn my car on today and it tells me on the on dash screen the number ate lights aren't working. Upon checking several times with other people checking for me when turning car on and off. The lights are actually working perfectly fine? Which has confused the hell out of me to be honest. It's telling me they don't work but they clearly do. I took them out to check to terminals and no issue. Put them back in and same thing. Tells me they don't work. Help lease!? Much appreciated!

Ash

Hello Ashley,

I can’t claim this is the the cause of your issue, but ‘bulb out’ warnings usually activate by monitoring resistance in the circuit, so it associates an abnormal resistance by indicating the bulb isn’t working. 

Now LED bulbs may ( and probably do) have a different operating current/ resistance from the normal original non LED bulbs, so it assumes it’s a ‘bulb out’ issue, and throws up that warning. 

Test:- fit new standard bulbs and see if it resolves your issue. 

Perhaps you could let us know how you get on. 

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hiya Gareth thankyou so much for the advice and I apologize for the slow reply. I will be getting some bulbs tomorrow to test this but just out of curiosity like I said the bulbs still work perfectly fine and have done for over a year and now like I say it's throwing up that message while they still work. Does that mean the resistance would change over time? Could it be due to cold weather or anything like that? Regards. 

Ashley 

• Like 1