Hard wiring for Nextbase Dashcam

kinderson

I'm preparing to install a Dashcam and wish to identify fuses, preferably in the cockpit fuse box which are live when the ignition is switched on.

I don't particularly wish to do it by trial and error! Can anyone help please?

Hi - on my 68 Q5 I installed a dashcam using the passenger footwell fuse box as the source.

The manual shows the locations - here's a link  https://fuse-box.info/audi/audi-q5-fy-2018-2020-fuses

I used D 7/8/9 as my 3 options and can't remember which one worked but they were the only ones on that side that were free for my spec and worked only with ignition on.

You do have to thread the cable and/or connector through from the top fuse box but there is enough room and it allows you to run the power cable up the A pillar under the door seal and around to the windscreen.

There are a few posts around about making it neater but I  didn't want to disturb the A Pillar airbag.

Many thanks for the info. I'll test the fuses in the cockpit compartment as they are easier for me to get at it. If that fails I'll revert to your suggestion.

Richard, Once again many thanks for the help and the job is complete and dashcam working. All the fuses in the cockpit box are live with ignition off so I followed your suggestion and have used fuse D7. in the passenger footwell cabinet.  I got a kit from Amazon with 4 different piggy back fuse types, one fitted perfectly. There is plenty of space to hide the spare cable behind both fuse compartments. Cheers, Nigel 

Good news Nigel 👍 

It's interesting that the fuses are a combination of mini and regular types. 

The D row is also handy because you have room on either side if you're using a piggy back type of connector. 

Did you tuck the cable in at the top of the A Pillar? 

Just want to add for any future readers, that on my 2008 A4 B7, I used the heated washer jet fuse, which is also on with the ignition.