Please help black smoke no power

Mcr123

Hello can anybody please help me I ha e 06 A4 tdi 2.0 which I not long ago bought so what’s happening is car runs ok when cold soon as hits operating temp feels like a misfire and chucks loads black smoke i have checked hoses for leaks all look fine . Removed hose from turbo spins freely ... a friend told me could be turbo 😟 but if it’s ok when cold would that not rule out turbo any help much appreciated 

Hi, its most likely the EGR valve is staying open it only opens when the engine is warm but i think its opening and staying open when warm, if the turbo shaft that runs the vanes has no real sloppy up/down movement I think you can forget that one.

Steve.

Thanks for the reply 😁it’s bin a pain Would you suggest cleaning and putting back together or blanking it off... one thing I didn’t put in my post was there is also a turbo Siren noise could get cause that ?   Any help appreciated I have a garage ready to change turbo but want to eliminate other things first. Would a computer fault reader tell me the exact problem thanks 

• 2 weeks later...

Update I had a egr delete and map car feels a lot better smoke only appears when car looses power which happens now and then. Sometimes I hear the turbo whistle and feel the boost car feels quick but I pull up  at lights and set off car feels really slow no smoke until I either let go of accelerator And pump foot or drive thru till Revs pick up... I’ve heard of mr muscle cleans turbo any one help a4 tdi 56 plate come on Audi people 😁

Hi you can't really tell but from a personal point of view I would be worried by all that carbon on the compression vanes as well as what looks like teeth marks on the edge of the fins, if the other picture is a boost hose what is that wrapped around part of it, looks a bit like a get you home bodge the hose should be a uniform rubber all the way from one end to another, I would replace that pronto, as for mr muscle that was a trick the old MK3 Mondeo boys used to clean the vanes on the exhaust side of the turbo, if you put it in the induction side it may well terminate something. try something like Lucas EGR/Turbo cleaner and follow the instructions to the letter.

Steve.

Thanks for reply I did notice what looked like scrapes on inside of turbo .sometimes the car has power and an hear turbo whistle other times not as much. I did replace the pipe some one had put tape around it for some reason there was no holes I could see but changed it now I will let you know how the turbo cleaning goes thanks again 👍🏻