Mechatron repair or replace

Geoffrey Morgan

Hi.Currently have a 65 reg A3 e-tron 1.4 Sportback Hybrid.Recently had a breakdown on a roundabout,not far from Longleat.Was rescued and eventually vehicle transported to Audi main dealer Mon Motors as other garages wouldn't touch it due to complicated nature of repairs.Diagnostics showed,among a few minor problems,that the car required a replacement Mechatron.The cost of this was £2900 for the part itself but including labour and VAT was £4400.As the car was under an RAC Warranty I tried to make a claim but was told the parts were not covered.This I thought was disgusting as I am paying nearly £1300 for this cover,and I also blame Carbase the dealer I purchased the car who took the cover out on my behalf.The major problem is what to do next as I can't afford to get it repaired as I am a pensioner.If I do get it repaired somehow then I won't be able to pay my fuel bills this winter.I was thinking of selling it as it is back to the dealer and use it as a deposit for another car but I am not sure that is financially viable.Any suggestions welcome.

• 2 weeks later...