Cylinder 1 misfiring

ssullivan25

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help me out. Driving to work the car started stuttering as I came off a roundabout. Pulled over and the EPC and engine light came on. After attaching a code reader, it's saying there's a misfire in cylinder 1.

So replaced spark plugs as 1 was black, no change.

Swapped 2 cables (cylinder 1 and 2) on the ignition coil, error code still saying cylinder 1 misfire.

Now changed the ignition coil as the issue didn't move with the cable. Still got the warning lights, stuttering and the code is still saying misfire cylinder 1.

I'm right is thinking that left spark plug is cylinder 1 and then going right, it's 2, 3, 4.

Any help would be great 

Car is Audi A3 1.2 2012

Edited by ssullivan25
Adding car

4 hours ago, ssullivan25 said:

Hi, was wondering if anyone could help me out. Driving to work the car started stuttering as I came off a roundabout. Pulled over and the EPC and engine light came on. After attaching a code reader, it's saying there's a misfire in cylinder 1.

So replaced spark plugs as 1 was black, no change.

Swapped 2 cables (cylinder 1 and 2) on the ignition coil, error code still saying cylinder 1 misfire.

Now changed the ignition coil as the issue didn't move with the cable. Still got the warning lights, stuttering and the code is still saying misfire cylinder 1.

I'm right is thinking that left spark plug is cylinder 1 and then going right, it's 2, 3, 4.

Any help would be great 

Car is Audi A3 1.2 2012

Hi can you tell me what code reader / diagnostic platform you are using, also look up on google the firing order as I am pretty sure thats not the firing order as you look at the engine the plug line up is correct.

Steve.

49 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi can you tell me what code reader / diagnostic platform you are using, also look up on google the firing order as I am pretty sure thats not the firing order as you look at the engine the plug line up is correct.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

It's a Vgate Scan for VW/Audi. I had a feeling the order was wrong so have changed the 2 end leads over so guessing 1 and 4. It's still saying cylinder 1 misfiring 

Just now, ssullivan25 said:

Hi Steve,

It's a Vgate Scan for VW/Audi. I had a feeling the order was wrong so have changed the 2 end leads over so guessing 1 and 4. It's still saying cylinder 1 misfiring 

Hi must admit I have never heard of Vgate but I will look at that one just to educate myself, if you have changed the coil pack and the spark plug the next port of call is check the wiring and the plug harness to NO1 cylinder as it might be a crusty wire or corrosion on the connectors pins.

Steve.

8 minutes ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi must admit I have never heard of Vgate but I will look at that one just to educate myself, if you have changed the coil pack and the spark plug the next port of call is check the wiring and the plug harness to NO1 cylinder as it might be a crusty wire or corrosion on the connectors pins.

Steve.

Cheers Steve, that was my thinking but as I swapped the leads over between 1 & 4 on the coil and the issued remained on cylinder 1. That's why I changed the coil but still the issue remains on 1, if it was a lead issue I believe the code should of returned a different cylinder. Will double check the leads tomorrow when its light

21 hours ago, ssullivan25 said:

Cheers Steve, that was my thinking but as I swapped the leads over between 1 & 4 on the coil and the issued remained on cylinder 1. That's why I changed the coil but still the issue remains on 1, if it was a lead issue I believe the code should of returned a different cylinder. Will double check the leads tomorrow when its light

Hi I had a look at Vgate its not the best as it will only run a limited interrogation of the ECU please can you tell me what code you have as I am leaning more toward a blocked or faulty injector being the problem.

Steve.

5 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi I had a look at Vgate its not the best as it will only run a limited interrogation of the ECU please can you tell me what code you have as I am leaning more toward a blocked or faulty injector being the problem.

Steve.

Hi Steve, the code is P0301. The code is the same, no matter what order the leads are put in the new ignition coil.

I checked the leads earlier and there are no obvious faults. I'm leading to the same conclusion as you to be honest.