Variable valve timing in audi a3 sportback?

sallyisalive

Firstly hello everyone, I've signed up to ask a question but have been reading and have gathered alot of general knowledge about cars from the topics on this forum 

I've recently bought an Audi A3 2.0 TDI Sportback 2015

My question is what is variable valve timing and is my model of car one that has this? 

I am asking as I am due to have diagnostics done after check engine light popped up last week and after doing research I found engine flush products but a bunch of guidance against using them in cars with variable valve timing 

Would appreciate any input people may have on this

Sally.

See this for one explanation of variable valve timing and how it is done in some Audi engines. I daresay you can find others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juJ02ZCX9rw

Essentially variable valve timing causes the camshaft relationship to the crankshaft to change, thus allowing the valves to operate earlier or later for optimum gas flow under all conditions.

I caution against jumping to premature conclusions regarding your engine fault light. Any number of problems that have nothing to do with valve timing can cause the light to come on, so better to wait until the diagnosis has been done.

1 hour ago, cliffcoggin said:

Sally.

See this for one explanation of variable valve timing and how it is done in some Audi engines. I daresay you can find others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juJ02ZCX9rw

Essentially variable valve timing causes the camshaft relationship to the crankshaft to change, thus allowing the valves to operate earlier or later for optimum gas flow under all conditions.

I caution against jumping to premature conclusions regarding your engine fault light. Any number of problems that have nothing to do with valve timing can cause the light to come on, so better to wait until the diagnosis has been done.

Cliff, 

Thank you for your generous response

Your video attached helps alot. Despite having no clarity on whether my car would be variable valve timing this does explain quite abit about what the mechanism is. 

I believe the engine is clogged up as I have been a negligent car owner with this car, I have not done well in maintaining the car via its annual oil and filter change, its been 2 months over due and I worry this is why the engine light has come up and my subsequent research led me to this conclusion that a flush may be required. At 90K mileage it is my firstmost assumption.

In terms of the symptoms itself I am seeing the following:

-Whiteish smoke occasionally coming from the exhaust, RARELY(only appeared once or twice since engine light)

-Lower pull power on the 185bhp, clearly less pull power when foot put down
-Electronic handbreak sticking and not unlocking when ready to move off with clutch & first gear, until manual release via clutch and break down. 
-Bad smell occasionally in engine and surrounding car of burnt fuel 

Regardless I will await the engine light diagnosis, as per yours and all other advice I have had, and will update this post ASAP

I could well be jumping to conclusions but hope all details I am giving helps you all in the know to understand the concern and also inform future car owners

A single two month delay in changing the oil is insignificant unless the car has covered an extraordinary distance in that time or has been otherwise poorly treated. I would be very surprised if that by itself was the cause of the problem. Repeated delays in oil changing over the life of the car and/or other neglect would be a different matter.

Bear in mind that manufacturers advise oil changes at more or less fixed intervals despite the fact that every car is driven differently, and hence wears at different rates. In the absence of continuous in-car engine diagnosis they can do little else, so they always err on the side of caution.

Do please let us know the outcome of the diagnosis, and the recommended repair.

19 minutes ago, cliffcoggin said:

A single two month delay in changing the oil is insignificant unless the car has covered an extraordinary distance in that time or has been otherwise poorly treated. I would be very surprised if that by itself was the cause of the problem. Repeated delays in oil changing over the life of the car and/or other neglect would be a different matter.

Bear in mind that manufacturers advise oil changes at more or less fixed intervals despite the fact that every car is driven differently, and hence wears at different rates. In the absence of continuous in-car engine diagnosis they can do little else, so they always err on the side of caution.

The car has only covered 1-2k miles since the oil change interval was due.

and mostly via ACC used for 60-70% of drive time. Many short journeys however in between the long distance in this time. 

I will update as soon as diagnostic is done, thank you Cliff

Hello Jemtam,

To best advise on necessary servicing going forward, I wonder if you would be kind enough to let us know what the known service history is with the car from new - when serviced and at what mileage, and main dealer or other. Also what the current mileage is, how long you have owned it, and what you normal annual mileage is. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/2/2021 at 11:03 PM, cliffcoggin said:

On 12/3/2021 at 8:56 AM, Magnet said:

Hello Jemtam,

To best advise on necessary servicing going forward, I wonder if you would be kind enough to let us know what the known service history is with the car from new - when serviced and at what mileage, and main dealer or other. Also what the current mileage is, how long you have owned it, and what you normal annual mileage is. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hello to you both and thank you for your efforts and advice

I've not updated this post & just remembered to pop back and let everyone know I've had the issue checked and fixed

It ended up being error code P0672 - Cylinder 2 Glow Plug circuit malfunction, which was quickly diagnosed and fixed by replacing the glow plug on cylinder 2, issue fixed with no more engine light and a return to normal drive 🙂

Thanks

• Like 1