Driver side tail gate lights out

Ryan Fleming

Hi guys

Looking for a little help. 

I have an A3 06 1.9tdi, 

Before having this issue all worked perfect before I start. 

All of a sudden my right side tail lighting completely stopped working, including break light/indicator light. 

Changed bulbs thinking was that, to no avail. I thought ok… replace the rear right tail light including the part small part that goes onto the tailgate. Yet… to no avail. 

Checked the fuse relay diagram and found fuses F25/F26 located under the bonnet beside the battery. Swapped them over to see if the problem resolved one side and then effected the other. Again this didn’t resolve the problem. 

However on the diagram it does state the fuses should be 30amp in the located areas but they are currently 40amp fuses. (I don’t see that being the issue) 

I’m COMPLETELY LOST on how to fix the issue now. 

Any advice or anyone who has had this effect them before, I would really appreciate your input. 

Or anyone in general who’s has any information on what else I could try. 

IT WAS WORKING NORMAL A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO

Hello Ryan,

Many thanks for being in touch with the forum, and Season’s Greetings to you and yours. 
Having done what you have done, my next port of call would be to check the section of wiring which runs within the flexible rubber covered harness between the main body and the tailgate section. If you carefully peel back the rubber at one end, you can then inspect the wires which run within the rubber sleeve. 
This is a favourite area for wires to break due to years of flexing when opening closing the tailgate/boot. - particularly during this colder weather when the wires become harder and more brittle.

Please come back to us Ryan, if you find broken wire/s and we should be able to advise on the best way to sort it.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to let us know anyway.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

to lose all of the light cluster would to me be a ground wire broken.

this falls very much in line with Gareth's reasoning.

i would be concentrating on proving continuity of the ground wire

last time i had to look at a similar problem i found most of the wires in the harness were damaged and had to be cut and rejoined.

Regards Ken

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Magnet said:

Hello Ryan,

Many thanks for being in touch with the forum, and Season’s Greetings to you and yours. 
Having done what you have done, my next port of call would be to check the section of wiring which runs within the flexible rubber covered harness between the main body and the tailgate section. If you carefully peel back the rubber at one end, you can then inspect the wires which run within the rubber sleeve. 
This is a favourite area for wires to break due to years of flexing when opening closing the tailgate/boot. - particularly during this colder weather when the wires become harder and more brittle.

Please come back to us Ryan, if you find broken wire/s and we should be able to advise on the best way to sort it.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

So the little section of wires that plug into the tail gate light ? Also where do I take the tail gate door card off to expose those wires too? 

many thanks for the input, il check it out today and get back to you hopefully with a result. 

Thank you 

Ryan 

No Ryan, not within the tailgate. 
Open the tailgate and look up to the top right? hand side near where the tailgate hinges. You should see the covered linking harness running between the body and the tailgate - obviously it will be flexible. 
Don’t go taking the tailgate card off - no reason to at this stage. One thing at a time! 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Magnet said:

Hello Ryan,

Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth

thanks for the input, turned out to be a blown plug that connects into the light. 

can’t believe I didn’t check this in the first place. 

however it was indeed your input that lead me to investigate the wiring etc, 

just nipped to the breakers and got a new plug with the wires cut back and rewired onto the wires on the loom. 

and would you know.. ITS WORKING AGAIN! 

thanks & merry Christmas to you and yours. 

also thanks to other input from the other member! 

Thanks again 

Ryan 

• Like 1

Many thanks Ryan.

Really pleased you were able to find the fault and fix it, and great that you were able to let the forum know. Your bad experience and it’s resolution could stand someone in good stead in the future. 
Many thanks too for the kind Christmas sentiments, and we obviously return these good wishes to you and yours.

Enjoy!
Kind regards, 

Gareth.

• Like 1