New Quattro A3 TFSI doesn't creep

john260164

I've noticed that when pulling to a stop, the drive is disengaged and the car doesn't creep forward. You have to press the accelerator pedal to make the car move forward again. This is fine until I try to garage my car. I have a towbar fitted to the car most of the time and a motorbike in front of the car so there's limited space and the car needs to be parked accurately so the back of the car is close to the garage door and so I can still walk around it at the front. Turning off the thing that stops the engine when you come to a stop helps (in fact its impossible to park the car without it turned off).

Great care is needed because pressing the accelerator even just very gently makes the car move forward enough to make me then have to brake firmly to stop me driving into the motorbike. So, can the creep function you get with most automatics be reinstated, or can anyone suggest any other ideas to help. I've already looked at a parking aid bump stop for the floor but I'm not convinced it would help much. Many thanks

• 1 year later...

I've just driven a 2021 S Tronic and, if it's the same, the electronic brake comes off quickly when the accelerator is pressed, hence the lurch. Try taking the parking brake off manually and the car should creep.

• 2 weeks later...

My car has a hydraulic parking brake, operated by a button, so don't think that would work for me. However....the garage suggested I turn off the hill hold assist, and that did do  the trick.

My car has a hydraulic parking brake, operated by a button, so don't think that would work for me

Mine too. I now have a 2022, A3 2 litre TFSI. If you release the parking brake, manually, with your foot on the brake, the car will not move until a very slight increase in revs and then it moves off with no lurch. Granted, for manoeuvring, you need the brakes straight away but there is no lurch. Why would you disable the very useful hold hold assist?