Advice on Coupe with auto gearbox

Brian71

I have spotted an 96 Audi Coupe v6 for sale that has automatic transmission. It's rather on the pricey side, in fact it was for sale about 4 years ago for £6000 and has now increased in price upto £11,000! I know its the same car because I just missed out buying it first time around. My question is, how reliable is the gearbox and is it a relatively easy to repair if the worst happens? What are the spares situation? Thanks in advance. 

Brian

33 minutes ago, Brian71 said:

I have spotted an 96 Audi Coupe v6 for sale that has automatic transmission. It's rather on the pricey side, in fact it was for sale about 4 years ago for £6000 and has now increased in price upto £11,000! I know its the same car because I just missed out buying it first time around. My question is, how reliable is the gearbox and is it a relatively easy to repair if the worst happens? What are the spares situation? Thanks in advance. 

Brian

Hi the reliability of any gearbox especially automatics is dependent on a good gearbox service history also what is the milage, yes its a bit pricey when you consider you could buy something newer for that money and in view of the eye watering repair costs of autos I would look for a manual as they are cheaper as its claimed they are not as desirable but the manual boxes are almost bullet proof and are far cheaper to source if they ever go sideways.

Steve.