Issues with my car

rickyr65sl

Hi..

I have a 2007 TDi 170 Quattro with bmn engine code.

I have an issue if anyone has any input….

The steering at motorway speeds feels quite loose/floaty, like there’s abit of free play, I’ve heard these can have steering rack issues, is this a sign?

I was considering replacing the inner and outer tie rods but didn’t want to just start replacing things if the issue is with the rack itself

ive just had 2 new tyres fitted and didn’t make a difference 

I’ve got a couple of clunks/nocks from the front suspension area too

ive bought new drop links and ball joints but haven’t got round to fitting them yet 

Another problem I’ve got is the coolant warning light comes on when cold and then goes off after driving 10 mins or so but I’ve not lost any coolant, I’m assuming this is more than likely an issue with the sensor in the expansion tank?

Also the aux belt tensioner is jumping about constantly and is pretty noisy, I was going to fit a new tensioner but I’ve read that the alternator pulleys can be the issue. Anyone had any experience with this?

cheers

Edited by rickyr65sl

Have you just bought this vehicle? If so, take it back for a refund as it can not pass an MOT test in its present condition. However if you want to repair it yourself read on.

Did you get the toe-in checked when the tyres were renewed? Toe-in is the small angle at which the front wheels point inwards. If it is wrong you can get the vague floaty steering you describe.

You also need to check all the steering and suspension joints for slackness with the assistance of another person. One of you should wriggle the steering wheel side to side about a quarter of a turn while the other goes under the car and feels each joint. Really loose joints can also be seen to move, but feeling with your fingers is more sensitive to tiny amounts of play. Any joint with the slightest amount of play needs to be renewed, after which the toe in should be adjusted.

While you are it, jack up each front wheel in turn, grab firmly at 9 & 3 o'clock, and rock to and fro while looking and feeling for slack in the wheel bearings. Any loose bearing should be renewed.

The coolant warning could be caused by air in the system expanding as the engine warms up and pushing the level up in the reservoir. Is there a visible level change when warm?

As for the alternator pulley, test it yourself by releasing the belt tension and rocking the pulley. If it moves it needs to be renewed.

• Like 1