Why only one Radiator fan on 2009 Audi A4 TDi 120

Darryl

Looking under the bonnet on my daughters 2009 A4 Avant TDi 120 there is only the large Radiator fan in the  right hand side of the housing ( Standing in front of car ) and there is no smaller A/C fan to the right although the shrouding for the fan is there.

Looking at used ones on eBay most have 2 fans as expected BUT some only have one in exactly the same position as ours.

Anyone able to explain why? It seems strange but I don't think anything has been removed or tampered with and identical used ones on eBay tend to confirm this.

Thanks Darryl

6 hours ago, Darryl said:

Looking under the bonnet on my daughters 2009 A4 Avant TDi 120 there is only the large Radiator fan in the  right hand side of the housing ( Standing in front of car ) and there is no smaller A/C fan to the right although the shrouding for the fan is there.

Looking at used ones on Ebay most have 2 fans as expected BUT some only have one in exactly the same position as ours.

Anyone able to explain why? It seems strange but I don't think anything has been removed or tampered with and identical used ones on Ebay tend to confirm this.

Thanks Darryl

Hi does your car have aircon?, if so its possible that due to the HP they did not fit the extra fan as the existing fan is more than adequate to run both cooling processes, on the older models the aircon reservoirs are larger and hold more gas, it was only on the later models with less reservoir capacity that the auxiliary fans were introduced to cool the lesser volume of gas more efficiently which is why most older aircon systems run a lot colder as they have more gas, this all started about twenty years ago from yet another E.U. pollution directive on aircon gas escape in an accident which had breached the cooling gas reservoir and released the gas into the atmosphere, thats why they are not allowed to use Freon in fridges etc anymore.

Steve.

Thanks Steve, the car is indeed the least powerful in the range at 120 bhp so it may be a possibility. Certainly doesn't look like it's been touched from leaving the factory.👍