Water in drivers footwell

Ian Fairhurst

Hi

I've discovered recently that I have water ingress in my drivers footwell. On investigation I can see that it is running in through the bonnet release catch. I have a sunroof but this appears to be draining ok through a drain in the door strut. I've been under the bonnet , removed ecu and fuse box to clear out some crap , but still got water visibly coming in. 

Does anyone know where the bonner release cable enters the car to the handle. I'm assuming there's a seal which may need. replacing

Thanks for any help/advice

Hi Ian

I discovered exactly the same problem on New Year’s Eve (puddle of water in drivers footwell) and am tearing my hair out trying to find the cause. When it rains water is dribbling out of the bonnet release catch, presumably trickling down the inside of the plastic trim above the catch, below the A pillar (see photo). I have visited numerous Audi forum pages and have done the following: 1) checked plenum drain holes for blockages but all are running free; 2) taped up and sealed the pan sunroof mindful of drainage issues and leaking frame on some Audis once they get to 5-6 years plus; 3) taped up the windscreen at the top, drivers side and base; 4) taped up the roof rail posts where they meet the roof as leaking gaskets have been reported. In short, tried to eliminate as many entry points as possible….but it’s still leaking. I’ve resorted to putting a tarpaulin over the front end. I hadn’t thought of the bonnet release cable entry point but will try and figure out where it is and what sort of seal it has (rubber grommet?). Appreciate it if you could keep me up to date on your progress via this thread and I will do similar. I have a nearby local garage with VW/Audi trained techs so will pursue issue with them. Main Audi dealer not very helpful. Thanks.

122E6117-D21D-4372-9AEF-22BE78944BAA.jpeg

Update from this afternoon.
Visited local garage. Mechanic said extremely unlikely bonnet release mechanism leaking. He took the drivers grab handle off and we peeled back roof headlining enough to see water drops and dampness. Satisfied that I’d thoroughly sealed up the sunroof (photo), the only place left was to revisit the roof rail seals i.e. the grommets between the rail and the roof.  I took the car home and water tested that area. Sure enough, within a few minutes of constant soaking with a hose, a slow trickle of water appeared, making its way towards the A pillar (photos) and down to the bonnet release. It doesn’t seem much but I guess several hours of rain and capillary action will bring quite a bit of water into  the drivers footwell. I have done my best to tape a plastic cover over at least the front and middle roof rail seals (photo) and await tonight’s rain with uneasy anticipation. Will report back tomorrow 🤞

E2543EE9-63DB-47DD-B986-318BF62FCBDB.jpeg

9F0C1F91-72AF-4223-A4FC-0E654858AE94.jpeg

8147BC93-DB65-4A52-B53C-AF3E64981DFE.jpeg

10ED19AF-07EF-48DF-AC2A-597033712258.jpeg

Next update. Rained night before last and more water came in where I had pulled headlining back. Stuffed a towel in there and it was wet. Decided I might not have taped up sunroof well enough so stripped off tape and replace with sheet of polythene taped all around to roof. Rained heavily last night. Great result this morning. Towel bone dry. So looking like sunroof (on drivers side only, no issues with passenger side). Have now removed tape on roof bars and waiting on tonight’s rain to see if any leakage from the gaskets. Will report back.

Hi Boots, if you have sunroof do what I did and check inside headliner. Can you see where water is reaching carpets ie telltale dribbles around and above bonnet release? Wise to check plenum drains in engine compartment below windscreen as blocked drains are a common cause of water entry. Let me know and will help if I can. Good luck - but if a nightmare when this happens

Morning @Chris Bird thanks for update was going to try the same thing as panoramic roof and water trickle from bonnet release. Checked plenum etc and all seems ok. Found this that might be helpful.  As well as this thread https://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php/189626-Panoramic-sunroof-leak

Look forward to another update, will let u know how get on! Best of luck! 

Morning

5 hours of heavy rain overnight, and having stripped the taped up roof rail last night, I was very happy to still see a dry headlining. No water ingress at all. Looks like the sunroof leak is the culprit - only on the drivers side and in the area of the hinge for the wind deflector (see photo below).

Thanks for the video link, Boots. I hadn’t seen that but the way he tested the roof is pretty much what I did, and posters on other Audi forums have also identified this point. Seems as though the seal between the metal and plastic parts of the sunroof frame deteriorates with age and breaks down allowing some water to seep in. With the freeze and thaw winter conditions, the leaking frame gets worse. Some have tried to fix this with a liquid polymer sealant called Captain Tolleys (used extensively by boat owners). But you need to wait for warmer weather before going down that route. Others have had the entire sunroof replaced at a fabulous cost (£2-3,000). The third option is to have the roof frame rebuilt at about a third of the cost of a new one. I have found only one company with a track record of doing this successfully (Surrey Sunroofs, between Guildford and Gatwick).

I plan to keep the roof taped up while we’re in the middle of winter, way too cold to apply sealants and seriously consider a drive down south to Surrey Sunroofs. I’m not convinced that trying to fix the problem myself is a viable long term solution as I plan to keep the car for at least another 4-5 years and given the widely experienced framework issue I don’t want to live with the worry that it may go at any time.

I would suggest you seal the roof (use heavy duty polythene, any nicks and water WILL find its way in), dry the floor mats indoors, and get a domestic dehumidifier to work in the car ASAP. They are very effective in a confined space at pulling moisture out of carpets, etc. (see photo). Just make sure you warm the car up and keep internal temp above 12C as they don’t work so well in the cold. 

Let me know how you get on. Don’t know your location, but this is a real pain in the midst of a Scottish winter!  I’ll keep you posted. Good luck,

.438C4428-3D4C-4105-AB8C-D5E7BE282E7F.thumb.jpeg.e43fa31611752bb5d851b1ab1531cd93.jpeg

344890F1-F1F9-48A4-931E-FC5EF9F1797E.jpeg

Thanks@Chris Bird appreciate the additional info. Have gaffered all the roof seals for now and will see how get on when the next heavy rains comes. Tried pouring some water down the gulley and came out through bonnet pull so pretty sure roof related and makes perfect sense with the weather conditions as you say. My father in law mechanic also recommended Tolley's independently yesterday 🙂 ! I know it's about volume of water in a short timeframe plus other factors you say but have you ruled out some narrowing of the drain hole with gunk, causing water to overflow down a-frame? Blowing air down etc. Otherwise it seems that roof replacement might be the only real solution as it's about stopping the flow into the drain holes. I'm not far from Surrey Sunroofs so might give them a buzz also. Fingers crossed we can get this sorted! 

Edited by Boots

Hi Eoin. Let me know if it works, fingers crossed. For sure the sunroof is badly made, the more you read, the bigger the problem across not just Audis but other brands that use same pan roof. Can’t fault the rest of the car over 6 years and 70k. After several calls today, found a guy in E Kilbride who reseals the frame from top and underneath by dropping headlining. Cost £340 and needs an overnight stay. Better solution for me in Aberdeen than driving to Surrey Sunroofs who actually take the frame out and rebuild it to better spec than original manufacturer. Takes 3 days though and not much change from £1000 (mainly labour). I would wait til late spring when warmer (no garage) and try Tolleys but driving to Alps in March and want it sorted first.

Boots, I know there can be problems with partially blocked drains. Reckon mine are flowing fine as zero crud in sunroof but you’re right, they should be checked annually. Avoid using compressed air aggressively as some people have blown the drain tube off the drain nozzle.

Everything still dry with the sealed roof although its -3C tonight so any water is frozen solid 🥶😃

Sorry to hear that didn’t work out, Eoin.

Just about to book mine in for a repair at East Kilbride sunroof and car window tinting centre, 57a Wilson Pl, Nerston Industrial Estate, East Kilbride, Glasgow G74 4QD Phone: 07850 335008 or 01355 246828

Business is owned by Liam, who has successfully repaired many pan roofs across Audi, Merc, BMW over the last few years. Same design, same flaws.

Basically, he drops the headlining and reseals from above and below. How permanent the repair is, don’t know, but he hasn’t had any returns. Cost is c.£350 all in. Mainly labour and considerably less than a full rebuild or replacement. Car going in during February. Needs overnight stay so he can water test the following day. Will let you know how I get on.

24 minutes ago, Chris Bird said:

Sorry to hear that didn’t work out, Eoin.

Just about to book mine in for a repair at East Kilbride sunroof and car window tinting centre, 57a Wilson Pl, Nerston Industrial Estate, East Kilbride, Glasgow G74 4QD Phone: 07850 335008 or 01355 246828

Business is owned by Liam, who has successfully repaired many pan roofs across Audi, Merc, BMW over the last few years. Same design, same flaws.

Basically, he drops the headlining and reseals from above and below. How permanent the repair is, don’t know, but he hasn’t had any returns. Cost is c.£350 all in. Mainly labour and considerably less than a full rebuild or replacement. Car going in during February. Needs overnight stay so he can water test the following day. Will let you know how I get on.

Good man yes I'm gona call him in the week ill have to drive over from Northern Ireland no one does it here !Removed! one 

• 1 month later...