Rich Fumes

DJM911

Hi all,

Hoping you can help, just got car back from a major load of work and noticed a rich fume smell when I get out of the car after parking etc. Car is an A6 Avant C7 3.0 TDI CRTD 272.

Work just completed (all Genuine parts):

1. Coolant Leak in the V - all coolant parts replaced - EGR Cooler, EGR Seals, Oil Seal Gasket, Valve Cooler, Water Housing, O Rings, Water Rings, Intake O Rings, Oil Cooler and gaskets etc.

2. Timing Chain (tensioner and guide broken) - All new chains, new tensioners, new guides, new gears, oil seals, turbo gaskets, exhaust gaskets, exhaust valve inlet, head was skimmed with new valves, head gaskets, head bolts, injectors tested, injectors seals and O rings, injector bolts, rocker cover seals, hydraulic lifters, valve stem oil seals.

Before the car went in there was large amount of blue smoke on cold start that lasted 5secs and then came clear. 

Any ideas? Could just be her bedding in and will come fine?

Car was off the road for quite a while and just glad to have her back!

Thanks in advance for your advice

31 minutes ago, DJM911 said:

Hi all,

Hoping you can help, just got car back from a major load of work and noticed a rich fume smell when I get out of the car after parking etc. Car is an A6 Avant C7 3.0 TDI CRTD 272.

Work just completed (all Genuine parts):

1. Coolant Leak in the V - all coolant parts replaced - EGR Cooler, EGR Seals, Oil Seal Gasket, Valve Cooler, Water Housing, O Rings, Water Rings, Intake O Rings, Oil Cooler and gaskets etc.

2. Timing Chain (tensioner and guide broken) - All new chains, new tensioners, new guides, new gears, oil seals, turbo gaskets, exhaust gaskets, exhaust valve inlet, head was skimmed with new valves, head gaskets, head bolts, injectors tested, injectors seals and O rings, injector bolts, rocker cover seals, hydraulic lifters, valve stem oil seals.

Before the car went in there was large amount of blue smoke on cold start that lasted 5secs and then came clear. 

Any ideas? Could just be her bedding in and will come fine?

Car was off the road for quite a while and just glad to have her back!

Thanks in advance for your advice

Hi could well be things settling down after the work, give it a week and then report back if no change, just wondering why they changed the EGR Cooler.

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Thanks.

I've only covered around 350 miles (1 week) since having the work done, so appreciate still early days - hoping it settles. Was a tiny bit of blue smoke under throttle the first day or two, but that seems to have settled.

Have planned to drive real easy for the first 1200 miles, to break it in... not sure if this is necessary... In my head I'm thinking a good spritely drive could resolve it rightly, but reluctant to do as explained.  

Wondering is it worth having a oil change done at 1200 miles mark also. 

In relation to why the cooler was changed, absolutely no idea - just went on the advice/guidance/trust of the mechanic and all these parts got changed (some where a preventative move since was already stripped down). Also got a new water pump - realised I didn't mention that above.