Apple Carplay aftermarket installation software

Colspat

I am in the process of buying an A6 saloon (2017 -c7) I would like apple carplay and have seen an internet clip that shows you can download software onto a media card, install it in the car and it gives Apple car play.  QUESTION - Can this be done or is it a hoax ? also can anyone suggest ways of installaing carplay ? I am in the Manchester area.

Thank you in advance as i have just joined.

Hi @Colspat,

I updated my 2017 A6 (details in my profile) this past weekend - just sat in the back corner of a Supermarket Car Park with the engine running whilst the wife did the weekly shop... Be sure to read the instructions - once started the update cannot be stopped - if you do stop it by leaving the car, shutting it down, removing the key etc. then it WILL brick the system and cost you several thousand pounds to put right. That being said, follow the rules, instructions, precautions, and it is simple and easy.

I'm also unsure of the rules on posting video links - if I am breaking a rule here then I ask Admins to Edit my post and remove the offending article.

I obtained my software(s) from different sources, but this link is a good guide as to what to do:

I also updated the Sat Nav Maps to 2022/2023 version after the above software update - before the update it said the latest maps were not supported. This procedure is more forgiving - you can stop/start the car during the procedure and the Maps update will auto-resume... As long as you do not remove the SD Card from the relevant slot in the meantime then the Maps update will complete. (It took around 45 minutes and I made two separate trips in the car)

So - Be careful - follow the precations - and you can do it free of charge at your own risk.

Good Luck!