Fly wheel

Raffa

I hâve a A3 Quattro on a 14 plate, i love the car, i normally keep a car 2 years and change it but I’ve had this car 4 years, I just had it mot last weekend and it passed no problem, as I look after it and keep up with everything, but the garage told me that my fly wheel was making a little noise, anyone else had this problem and what did they do and how much to get it fixed, thanks in advance 

Hello Rafa,

It sounds as if your garage has diagnosed the start of a failing dual mass flywheel (DMF). If so, it is likely to get worse, so if it were mine, I would treat this with respect, and get a second opinion. 
Sorry to be pessimistic, but if this is correct, it is quite a expensive repair, since the gearbox has to be removed, and it would be wise to invest in a new clutch assembly while it is out. 
What mileage has it covered by the way? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Raffa I used to own a 2.2 Diesel  Mondeo but in the end I sold it because I was sick of being told or reading about DMF failure which was always a four figure number to repair. I had mine mapped and removed the DPF and I used to drive it like a !Removed!. Not heard anything about A3 failures but as Magnet said I would definitely get a second opinion from somebody you trust if you can 

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2023 at 7:59 AM, Magnet said:

Hello Rafa,

It sounds as if your garage has diagnosed the start of a failing dual mass flywheel (DMF). If so, it is likely to get worse, so if it were mine, I would treat this with respect, and get a second opinion. 
Sorry to be pessimistic, but if this is correct, it is quite a expensive repair, since the gearbox has to be removed, and it would be wise to invest in a new clutch assembly while it is out. 
What mileage has it covered by the way? 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Thanks Gareth for your advice