Audi A6 tfsi e quattro hv battery drain

Pauric

Go to solution Solved by Stevey Y,

Recently bought one of these so still figuring out if I should have just went diesel . Onething I'm seeing is when the car is sitting over night , I'm losing about 6km of range .seems alot when you don't have a whole pile to start with and the heavy hybrids aren't so efficient when in use to start with. Does anyone see similar.. weather has changed a little so not sure if that plays in .I do not charge at night as I charge cheaper at work during the day 

22 hours ago, Pauric said:

Recently bought one of these so still figuring out if I should have just went diesel . Onething I'm seeing is when the car is sitting over night , I'm losing about 6km of range .seems alot when you don't have a whole pile to start with and the heavy hybrids aren't so efficient when in use to start with. Does anyone see similar.. weather has changed a little so not sure if that plays in .I do not charge at night as I charge cheaper at work during the day 

Hi the cooler weather will have a massive impact on the battery as all these batteries need to be warm to work efficiently therefore there is some kind of heating membrane around them which is powered by, yes electric, example being last year one of my fellow cabbies blew his beans on a Tesler which was fine during the summer 200 miles on a full charge, when it got blistering cold before Christmas he was only getting just over 100 miles, factor in the battery warming and the heater for the car and any demisting devices thats where your range goes.

Steve.

Thanks! So is the battery depleting over night or rather the estimation of range you get from that cool condition changes . I know on the range it changes from day to day based on previous driving also . Is there a way to visualise the actual kWhs as opposed to the estimated range .

• Solution
22 hours ago, Pauric said:

Thanks! So is the battery depleting over night or rather the estimation of range you get from that cool condition changes . I know on the range it changes from day to day based on previous driving also . Is there a way to visualise the actual kWhs as opposed to the estimated range .

Hi visualise kilowatts, more chance of poking smoke up a cats backside with a knitting needle, sorry but these things are pre programmed to do what they want when they want, if the car is being charged and the ambient temperature drops it will automatically turn on the battery heater and that sucks energy, these cars are a hard thing to analyse as the variables are beyond most mortals comprehension, thats why I have always run diesels as the patterns are more predictable with the change of seasons, example, my old Euro 4 engine used to give more power when it was colder but less MPG, slight difference with a Euro 5 engine colder more power and only a small drop in mpg, Euro 6 less MPG during the summer as the engine is permanently trying to run cooler but has to fight the effects of warmer air on NOX production, ergo more adblue consumption, now winter more mpg less adblue consumption as the ECU loves cooler air, I  really wouldn't drive yourself nuts trying to second guess, it is what it is, welcome to new technology is it not wonderful, rule one if a salesmans lips move he is probably lying.

Steve.

3 hours ago, Stevey Y said:

Hi visualise kilowatts, more chance of poking smoke up a cats backside with a knitting needle, sorry but these things are pre programmed to do what they want when they want, if the car is being charged and the ambient temperature drops it will automatically turn on the battery heater and that sucks energy, these cars are a hard thing to analyse as the variables are beyond most mortals comprehension, thats why I have always run diesels as the patterns are more predictable with the change of seasons, example, my old Euro 4 engine used to give more power when it was colder but less MPG, slight difference with a Euro 5 engine colder more power and only a small drop in mpg, Euro 6 less MPG during the summer as the engine is permanently trying to run cooler but has to fight the effects of warmer air on NOX production, ergo more adblue consumption, now winter more mpg less adblue consumption as the ECU loves cooler air, I  really wouldn't drive yourself nuts trying to second guess, it is what it is, welcome to new technology is it not wonderful, rule one if a salesmans lips move he is probably lying.

Steve.

I think you are right on all counts ! I like knowing how these things work though and amazed how little info there is. For sure these cars kinda make you think in more terms of numbers . These are a tempory future at best . It's is certainly fun in dynamic mode though..fair bit of hauling on a  2.7 tonne unit . Thanks for your insights on this. 

A lot of the time people often overlook that these lithium car batteries will only work at certain temperatures. The result is it will digest or deplete its own power in order to provide battery maintenance/care management to prolong the life. 

what’s happening over night is that it could be heating the battery pack on its own power. Or given that batteries tend to work terribly bad in cold weather it’s estimating your range/power according to preset limitations to preserve its battery cell pack.

I remember arriving at our hotel in our Tesla hire car looking at the range of 210 miles thinking we won’t need to charge and then getting to it the following morning after removing 9 or so inches of snow and seeing the range of 113 miles and scratching our heads. It wasn’t until we spoke with a fellow electric car owner at the charging station when it drops below -19 the battery heating pack runs literal marathons trying to prevent cell failure/damage.