3G+ mmi satnav issue

Boase93

Hi All, 

I’m hoping someone can shed some light on a issue that has recently developed on my satnav. 

The satnav works, arrow moves as it should, rotates and physically lives location as I drive. However, it doesn’t show my location but a random location usually within a 20mile radius (ish) of where I am. 

I assumed that the antenna may have been faulty so replaced that, with no joy. Weird thing is I can unplug the fakro plug from the back of the head unit and it still do the same thing. But if I move the stereo in my hand the arrow will also move so again assuming there must be internal gps of some description. 

Is this likely to be a hardware or software issue? I have just ordered the map update and mmi update but if it’s more than likely a head unit fault then I’d rather save them for the replacement I would need. 

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Andy

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my SatNav, it happened on two previous occasions but both times started working again after a few day but this time it’s been a few weeks. The weird thing is, the first time and now this time it manifested itself at exactly the same place which I seldom visit. I’m in Norfolk and there is still a lot of military aircraft activity around here but so far I’ve been unable to pinpoint anything although recently an Apache Helicopter flew very close to me while it was hedge hopping across the fields and it disrupted the recording of my Dashcam, I asked around and that is a common thing because of the electronic blocking equipment they use.

I too was going to try a disk undate although my car doesn’t have the separate head unit I’ve seen in other cars, only the 2 SD card slots and regular CD/DVD dash unit.

Did you so far have any success with updating or repairing your system?

Regards, Bruce

3 minutes ago, Bruce Cobby said:

Hi, I have exactly the same problem with my SatNav, it happened on two previous occasions but both times started working again after a few day but this time it’s been a few weeks. The weird thing is, the first time and now this time it manifested itself at exactly the same place which I seldom visit. I’m in Norfolk and there is still a lot of military aircraft activity around here but so far I’ve been unable to pinpoint anything although recently an Apache Helicopter flew very close to me while it was hedge hopping across the fields and it disrupted the recording of my Dashcam, I asked around and that is a common thing because of the electronic blocking equipment they use.

I too was going to try a disk undate although my car doesn’t have the separate head unit I’ve seen in other cars, only the 2 SD card slots and regular CD/DVD dash unit.

Did you so far have any success with updating or repairing your system?

Regards, Bruce

Bruce, 

I did in fact resolve this issue, I found that that compass was facing incorrectly 180 degrees to which the software and maps update didn’t resolve. However it did lead me to believe the antenna itself was faulty. I replaced this with a none factory gps antenna and hid it behind the dash and went for a drive. After a couple of minute the satnav re-calibrated itself and is now fully functional again.

Thanks,

Andy

Thanks Andy,

It’s good to hear yours is working again.

So I need to have a dig around and try to find the antenna plug, hopefully it’s not buried too deep…..

At least you have given me some hope, before I simply resort to a Tom Tom. 

Kind  regards, Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Andy,

I thought you might be interested to hear, I finally got around to fitting a new GPS antenna this afternoon, i then went for a drive and after about 6 miles it started working.

Then I went for a slightly longer drive, entered the destination and everything is working like before.

Next thing is to look for a reasonably priced map update.

Cheers,

Bruce