Real MPG

Steve24

I've recently purchased an A7 3.0 TDI BiTurbo and I've tried all the Car modes, ie. Economic, Comfort, Dynamic and my real average mpg is around 29 mpg, when Audi say it should average 42 mpg.

My previous car was an A5 3.0 TDI 6 speed manual and averaged 44 mpg even with a lot of spirited driving.

Does anyone else have an A7 3.0 TDI BiTurbo, if so what mpg are you getting.

I've got a the 270HP A7 and on a 200 mile run I've had it up to 47mpg, without cruise control and A/C it might reach 50mpg🤷🏻‍♂️. Long term though after 9500 miles of mixed driving it's 37mpg, which while not amazing isn't that bad for a 3L V6 2000KG car ( These are indicated figures from the cars computer)

😅

Edited by Tommym92
  • Like 1

Hi Tommy

Thanks for your reply, I own another Audi that I drive regularly, it's an A5 3.0 TDI Quattro with 300 bhp, it's a 6 speed manual and it averages around 40 mpg and that includes a lot of high speeds on the motorway, so you can imagine my disappointment with the A7 only getting 29 mpg and I can't believe that having two turbos can use up all that fuel, it's a diesel  and should be far more economical, to make matters worse I think the A5 is a lot quicker, maybe being automatic drinks all that extra diesel.

I've only had the A7 for a couple of weeks and I'm on my second full tank and so far I'm on target to do 460 miles, which will work out at 30 mpg, but that's a far cry from the 40mpg that Audi quote in there blurb.

Maybe I need to have the car looked at as it's only done 13000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree they're not the best MPG figures. It just occurred to me that you might need to check your tyre pressures, I've got mine set at 38F/41R (PSI). The BiTurbo does use a different gearbox too (Torque converter vs DSG) which may slightly reduce mpg.

10 hours ago, Tommym92 said:

I would agree they're not the best MPG figures. It just occurred to me that you might need to check your tyre pressures, I've got mine set at 38F/41R (PSI). The BiTurbo does use a different gearbox too (Torque converter vs DSG) which may slightly reduce mpg.

Thanks for you reply, do you have 21" wheels, I've set mine to 36 PSI all round

I was going to sell my other car which an Audi A5 3.0 TDI Quattro which does around 42 MPG, but I think I will keep it and use that to offset the low MPG I get from the A7.

I'm going to contact Audi UK to tell them that their advertised MPG figures are wildly out and the only way my A7 would do advertised MPG is if I pushed it.