Cam belt change tools

Captdave

Getting ready to do a cam belt change on my 2.5 tdi All Road from 2004 does anybody have any experience of changing the belt without the reqd tools  or better still anybody have the tools reqd l can borrow  buy or hire.

I will be doing the front wheel bearings as soon as the spares arrive looks like l will need a big press for that job as well unless you guys kmow different.

Cheers 

Capt Dave

• 2 months later...

This reply might be a little late for you but I did a belt change without the official tools. You will need to machine a set of camshaft locks. 2mm thick steel will do and roughly 50mm square but you will need to measure accurately. Drill a hole in each and add thread through a piece of string so you can tie them in place. You'll need a crank locking pin but can insert a screwdriver. Make sure it stays in place though. You'll also need rods to lock the cambelt tensioner out. A suitable nail can be used. You'll also need to hold the verniers steady while you unbolt them from the cams. I used a great big adjustable wrench. The only other thing is a 17mm Allen key to remove the drivebelt tensioner. I bought a socket which did the job perfectly. 

• Like 1

The cambelt waterpump and thermostat are all changed along with all the various pulleys and adjusters. You dont really need the special tools if you carefully mark all the pulleys with tipex or similar. I also did the valve cover gaskets which were leaking badly and changed the o rings in the radiator top and bottom hose. You do need to lock the fuel pump pulley but that is easy to do with something that fits in the hole like a drill or parallel punch. The engine was filthy from all the oil leaks and that took a time to clean.  I also checked the camshaft oil seals but they were fine and didnt need changed. I got most of the spares from Autodoc who have been super and l cant recommend them highly enough.

Its quite a big job but if you work away steadily you will get there l am 73 and a retired mechanic my non mechanic mate is 75 but we managed fine it took a few days in my garage but the end result is really good.  My non mechanic mate is !Removed! good at bodywork so he did some great work on a couple of dents and scratches.

Wisshing you all a happy Christmas and great New Year and thanks for your help so far.

Capt Dave 

• Like 1

While doing the cam belts l noticed the gearbox oil cooler is connected to the radiator so there is a seperate circuit within the radiator that further cools the gearbox oil which l found a bit strange. The gearbox oil comes from the gearbox to its own little cooler then from the cooler to the main radiator then back to the cooler and returns to the gearbox. I found this strange but l am sure there is a very good reason for it other than making it very awkward to remove and refit the radistor.

2 hours ago, Captdave said:

The cambelt waterpump and thermostat are all changed along with all the various pulleys and adjusters. You dont really need the special tools if you carefully mark all the pulleys with tipex or similar. I also did the valve cover gaskets which were leaking badly and changed the o rings in the radiator top and bottom hose. You do need to lock the fuel pump pulley but that is easy to do with something that fits in the hole like a drill or parallel punch. The engine was filthy from all the oil leaks and that took a time to clean.  I also checked the camshaft oil seals but they were fine and didnt need changed. I got most of the spares from Autodoc who have been super and l cant recommend them highly enough.

Its quite a big job but if you work away steadily you will get there l am 73 and a retired mechanic my non mechanic mate is 75 but we managed fine it took a few days in my garage but the end result is really good.  My non mechanic mate is !Removed! good at bodywork so he did some great work on a couple of dents and scratches.

Wisshing you all a happy Christmas and great New Year and thanks for your help so far.

Capt Dave 

Merry Christmas Dave 🙂 and happy new year to you and your family. Thanks for all your input this year 🙂

• Like 1