Q8 Headlights Misting

Nigel SGP

Afternoon Nigel.

I'm on my second Q8. First purchased in 2020 that I owned for 3 years and 40,000 miles and my present one, that I took delivery in June this year and just ticked over 5500 miles.

Both bought new and both 55TFSi. I haven't had a problem at all with the headlights so I suspect that you have problem with your particular car.

May I ask how old it is and is it still under warranty ?

Hope you sorted it out.

Frank

Hi Frank 

Thanks for the reply the car is 1 year old and done 6k miles its under warranty I noticed today they are perfectly clear I’ve been told it’s in the Q8 Manuel  that this is normal I haven’t checked myself .

Nigel 

Hello Nigel,

Your vehicle appears to be still under warranty, so if it were mine, I would be returning it to your servicing dealer and asking them to sort the issue for you. 
I would be e-mailing the dealer principal prior to the arranged visit, so that you have a dated record for the future, Incase the issue returns. 
Perhaps you could let us know how you get on. 
Kind regards,

Gareth. 

Hi Gareth

That’s what i will do I’ve actually noticed a couple of Q8s today with this problem I’m going in to the dealership anyway but will make sure it’s reported I will let you know their response 

Nigel 

• Like 1

Evening Nigel

Apologies for asking the age of your car when it was in your profile !

I'm 76 years of age so I will blame that !

If possible, could you detail a bit more about the " foggieness " your headlights are experiencing please ?

And what precisely does the manual say about that it ?

I am intrigued as I said in my initial reply that I didnt experience anything like this in my first nor in my present one.

My car is parked up outside in our driveway each night as it's too darn wide for our titchy little garage and I have just gone out to have a look what the headlights are like. We live in the New Forest in Hampshire and temperatures are dropping pretty rapidly this evening so you would suspect that if there was a problem, it would show up. However they are both clear and dry.

So I suggest to do what Gareth has already said  and ask your supplying dearlership to investigate under warranty.

Apart from that , may I ask how you are finding the car after previously owning a Q7 ? 

The two Q8's are my first foray into the SUV sector. Up to 2020, I owned either Porsches, BMW's etc in my younger days and as I grew older, I owned 2 wonderful VW Phaetons followed by an A8

But with ageing joints it seemed to make sense to finally own an SUV. Not sure I could  lower myslef into a low slung car anymore !

And it has worked. My wife and I  use our Q8 for longish driving tours to Deutschland . We have just returned from a 3 week tour to Bavaria, Dresden and Lower Saxony and the car was sublime, both on bendy country roads up in the mountains and on the fabulous Autobahn system in Germany. It's quiet,comfortable, well engineered and just about powerful enough I think.

I would have liked to have changed up to an SQ8 but the pension would not allow.....nor would my Missus who said I would probably kill myself now with over 500 bhp !

Apologies for the length of this. I do tend to go on rather now.

So, I hope you sort this problem out and I wish you many happy,safe and enjoyable miles in your wonderful Q8

Frank   

Hi Frank 

It’s literally just condensation I’ve just checked the Q8 manual page 63 it says cold weather is the cause but it seems it’s not a problem 

I had 2 Q7s and they have been brilliant cars not 1 problem with each they were both 3ltr TDIs but as I tend to make shorter runs daily ( I’m still working haha ) I thought I’d swop to petrol I still run up north fairly often and I’m in Sheffield so I avoided the Electric versions the main difference is really the width of the Q8 other than that they aren’t too dissimilar 

like you I would have the Q8 but really at my age (65) I don’t need it Germanys changed as well not so many places unrestricted on the Autobahns these days sadly 

Best Regards 

Nigel 

IMG_7090.jpeg

IMG_7091.jpeg

Hi Nigel

Sorry for keeping this running but I promise I will give you some peace and quiet afer this reply !

Many thanks for the pics. It does look like condensation doesnt it although I am suprised it has got into the sealed units.

Best to keep and eye on it I think  in case it gets worse and you have your new car warranty to fall back on.

Re your comments about the German Autobahns. Think the Germans are not so much fun as they used to be as we have been travelling reguarly to Deutschland for over 30 years now and we have noticed how more and more restrictions are being applied to the Autobahn network.  Presume it might be something to do with Olaf Schutzs administration having to rely on a coalition with the Greens to stay in power.

We travelled about 2000 miles in our three weeks and I would guess that probably only on about a third of the Autobahns we used were without a speed restiction. It was always a rule that the older the autobahn, the greater chance that  they would have a restiction of 130 Kph. Especially the very old one with only two lanes.

However even newly built ones like the last 150 miles from Dortmund to Dresden that used to be derestricted have now a speed limit on them.

I think I managed to keep our British end up by occassionally gunning my boy up to 120 mph when I could and when it was safe obviously.  But  I still got mullered by Porsches, Bmw's and the occassional company car VW Passat Estate that would have been chipped ! Also the UK sticker attracted the attention of the occasional German driver who decided it was a sign to have a go.

My cowardly gene has now kicked in since I got into my 70's and 120 mph is enough for me now.

Also, my last point. If anyone thinks that the the rash of road works on our Motorways and our roads are peculiar only to the U.K please think again. We travelled for many miles on autobahns resticted to two lanes for road works ( with no actual sign of anyone working ! ) and 80 kph speed limit.

And on the way home we got caught in utter traffic gridlock as bad as anything experienced in the UK,  20 miles from Dortmund where we managed to travel about 20 miles in 2 hours....and in biblical rain !

Anyhows, it was nice to chat and have fun with your glorious Q8

Frank    

Hi Frank

The headlamps in the Q8 aren’t sealed they breathe apparently but it’s correct I’ve checked 

I visit for work just outside Mainz (Bornheim) my customers claim to fame is he has never been overtaken on the Autobahn between Frankfurt and  Zurich and he’s 78 but he does drive a beast of a car AMG 63 se around 800 hp I think anyway it’s been interesting chatting and let’s both enjoy our Q8s .

Nigel

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Morning Nigel

I parked my car up in old Portsmouth last night to see an old ex RN friend. It was bitterly cold there and after a pint in the pub down on the Hard, I walked back to my car and noticed that I too had the same condensation in both my headlishts that you have experienced. So, it does look as though it's a normal occurence with these units that " breathe !

Frank

Hi Frank 

I have been into Audi Sheffield who confirmed it’s normal 75% of the Q8s parked outside had the condensation I’m going up to Bamburgh in the new year will give it a bit of a run usually run into a bit of snow that time of year i will let you know how we get on 👍