Tyre wear on A3 Quattro

john260164

Hi. After about 18500 miles from new, I've just changed the rear tyres on my 2021 A3 Quattro (decided it was a good idea pre-winter as the lowest one was 2.8mm. Fronts still had over 4.5mm so didn't change them), and a note came back saying both fronts had inner shoulder wear. I was told that it might be to do with the 40TFSi engine being heavy on the front axle and causing too much towing in. Anyone experienced this and have an alternative explanation? Thanks!

Hi Gareth, the tyre place's policy is that if only 2 tyres are to be changed on a 4WD vehicle they must be the rears and then only provided the fronts have 4mm left. They did say it would be a good idea to get a 4 wheel alignment check done. I'm yet to try and find a garage that can do that. Brgds, John

Thanks John,

Most tyre retailers now have the (sophisticated) equipment to do 4 wheel alignment, but their ability to use it, and correctly adjust that alignment on a range and marques and models can vary from retailer to retailer. Many boast that their equipment is state of the art, but its correct interpretation and use is of paramount importance. 
Not that this is going to help you John, but my local ATS was once not the place to go due to high prices and off handed service. It’s all changed of late, and above all, the chaps there couldn’t have been more friendly and engaging with a family member, and were keen to show me the readings and what they were going to do to rectify the situation. I had confidence with them, and just as an added bonus, they have just come out cheapest and fitted a set of Michelin on the A3.

Your local depot?? 
Kind regards,

Gareth, 

You are very welcome John. If it were me, I would be walking in for a chat - rather than ringing - and trying get a general feeling whether you want to entrust the alignment to them. 
Good luck with your search.

The forum’s Christmas wishes to you and yours.

Kind regards,

Gareth. 
p.s. what I omitted to say was we were invited to return the car in 3 weeks for them to recheck the alignment. Thought that was good.