B9 S5 limited boost timer, normal?

j4mes

Hi, had as much trouble wording my topic title as I did with my Google search.

Cannot find ANYTHING from searches about having low/limited boost before the oil is up to temp or if there's a timer on it. Normal? (Don't get me wrong, if it's normal I like it a lot.)

I haven't timed it, but I get full boost after maybe between 30mins to 1 hour of driving. Even when the oil is at 80c. Oh and i can reduce that time to 10 mins or less if I turn the car off and on again.

I bought this car used, it has 34k miles. I don't know if it has had anything done to the ECU? It could have been an ex lease, do they put these restrictions?

Also this image. The error I had when I gave it a lot of throttle before it was "ready" I've had this message once. I went into Tesco, come back and it was gone and Hasn't returned.

I still have warranty left, so would like to know if this a potential problem before that expires.

20240126_162103.jpg

11 minutes ago, j4mes said:

Hi, had as much trouble wording my topic title as I did with my Google search.

Cannot find ANYTHING from searches about having low/limited boost before the oil is up to temp or if there's a timer on it. Normal? (Don't get me wrong, if it's normal I like it a lot.)

I haven't timed it, but I get full boost after maybe between 30mins to 1 hour of driving. Even when the oil is at 80c. Oh and i can reduce that time to 10 mins or less if I turn the car off and on again.

I bought this car used, it has 34k miles. I don't know if it has had anything done to the ECU? It could have been an ex lease, do they put these restrictions?

Also this image. The error I had when I gave it a lot of throttle before it was "ready" I've had this message once. I went into Tesco, come back and it was gone and Hasn't returned.

I still have warranty left, so would like to know if this a potential problem before that expires.

20240126_162103.jpg

Hi its probably a built in function as most oils only give maximum protection when at optimum temp, some of the new Bentlys, Alfa Romeos and Feraris have stickers in the car telling you to warm the engine at idle for at least ten mins before driving, I would get that drive system light checked its yellow so not urgent but the gearbox has nothing to do with the engine temp, in saying that the oldest saying in the car world is NEVER REV A COLD ENGINE, thats because of the damage it causes to internal revolving surfaces which have yet to heat up to operating tollerences, cold oil at high rpm is as bad as no oil only in reverse, I found that out a few years ago in the eighties when at massive cost I built a go faster Mini engine, billet steel crank lightened con rods, super Hepolite pistons the works, my only downfall was jacking the oil pressure relief valve so it ran at 95psi when warm, two months later I had big end knock where the oil cold ran at over 100psi and had washed the coating off of the end shells, moral of the story most cars are quite happy with oil pressure of around 40psi as long as the oil temp is at optimum.

Steve.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, did you figure out this issue? I didnt have such thing, but lately these symptoms came on my car. Car is underboosting and had the same message