Customer States..

Having done a few A3's now buy them in with blown turbos, repair, and back out the door, i've got one with symptoms i can not work out on my own, im no mechanic, i just got bored during lockdown and carried on since.

DTC Codes:
1 - Mass air flow performance problem

Symptoms:
Intermittent very low power car will accelerate slowly, usually dip the clutch and try again it pulls away no problem

Inconsistent throttle response, you breath on it in the morning its a rocket ship, then in the afternoon you mash it into the carpet and its just mehhhh

Asthmatic on occasions, will pull cleanly to about 2500 rpm, and just fall on its face like its all out of puff, lift the throttle and re-apply it will scream of for the redline.

Intermittent sound that i can only describe as ping ping ping ping ping ping, left side of engine bay only here it under load between 2000 and 2400 rpm

Occasionally Smokes on startup and when i say smokes i mean 200 in one blue puff, but its very occasional like maybe 1 in 100 starts.

MIL Light flashes now and then usually on the overrun (google suggests a missfire warning, but not sure)

Parts already changed, for the most part there new or modifications

Turbo Core - Excessive end float, but no housing damage.
VG Controller / Actuator - Orig was only offering 25 to 55% range
EGR - Total Delete asin, cooler, pipes the works, gone. It came in with more holes than a tea bag and leaking would have been an understatement
New Charge side soft pipes, smoke testing reveals no leaks.
Throttle Pedal
Outside Air Temp Sensor
2 ABS Sensors
1 x DMF / Clutch

N112 Secondary Air Injection Valve

Its a lovely little car, its straight and clean for the most part, might be 17 years old but shes been looked after and just 120,000 miles on the clock, would like to give this to my eldest if i can work out what im missing here (time to graduate from 1000cc fiesta) . I did have a good look with vag com etc, injectors all run nicely, with 0 deviation at idle, commanded and actual pressures look good over a wide range of revs, although it does seem to me to be just a little (3 psi maybe low upto about 1800rpm) it takes a moment to build up to 10psi, then 10 to 22psi comes up like you flicked a switch.

Any suggestions on where to look, love working on these things, be nice to save it from the scrap yard

6 hours ago, AnIdiotAboard said:

Having done a few A3's now buy them in with blown turbos, repair, and back out the door, i've got one with symptoms i can not work out on my own, im no mechanic, i just got bored during lockdown and carried on since.

DTC Codes:
1 - Mass air flow performance problem

Symptoms:
Intermittent very low power car will accelerate slowly, usually dip the clutch and try again it pulls away no problem

Inconsistent throttle response, you breath on it in the morning its a rocket ship, then in the afternoon you mash it into the carpet and its just mehhhh

Asthmatic on occasions, will pull cleanly to about 2500 rpm, and just fall on its face like its all out of puff, lift the throttle and re-apply it will scream of for the redline.

Intermittent sound that i can only describe as ping ping ping ping ping ping, left side of engine bay only here it under load between 2000 and 2400 rpm

Occasionally Smokes on startup and when i say smokes i mean 200 in one blue puff, but its very occasional like maybe 1 in 100 starts.

MIL Light flashes now and then usually on the overrun (google suggests a missfire warning, but not sure)

Parts already changed, for the most part there new or modifications

Turbo Core - Excessive end float, but no housing damage.
VG Controller / Actuator - Orig was only offering 25 to 55% range
EGR - Total Delete asin, cooler, pipes the works, gone. It came in with more holes than a tea bag and leaking would have been an understatement
New Charge side soft pipes, smoke testing reveals no leaks.
Throttle Pedal
Outside Air Temp Sensor
2 ABS Sensors
1 x DMF / Clutch

N112 Secondary Air Injection Valve

Its a lovely little car, its straight and clean for the most part, might be 17 years old but shes been looked after and just 120,000 miles on the clock, would like to give this to my eldest if i can work out what im missing here (time to graduate from 1000cc fiesta) . I did have a good look with vag com etc, injectors all run nicely, with 0 deviation at idle, commanded and actual pressures look good over a wide range of revs, although it does seem to me to be just a little (3 psi maybe low upto about 1800rpm) it takes a moment to build up to 10psi, then 10 to 22psi comes up like you flicked a switch.

Any suggestions on where to look, love working on these things, be nice to save it from the scrap yard

Hi have you tried changing the MAP and MAF  as I have seen this before, similar symptoms when they are not communicating and it wont necessarily throw a code, you mentioned the throttle pedal replacement so it might be worth checking the condition of the throttle body as a sticky butterfly will cause no end of problems.

Steve.