Audi 80 ECU

7-up

I've seen earlier advice here on line about reseting the engines ECU because its built into the circuits for the cars immobiliser and if you are unlucky -  you may have to reset it. 

Advice went on the lines of    

to reset the cars ECM/ECU.
Turn your key to the accessory position (ACC).
Disconnect the battery POSITIVE terminal.
Wait about 1 minute,
Tap the positive terminal 3 times and then reconnect to the terminal.
The ECU/ECM is now reset.

I'd be grateful to know if anyone has found this works , or used instead another idea, or successfully sent the car to an Audi Agent etc for a fix.

I'm trying a few options but would like a bit more certainty.

Best Regards

Thanks for the reply.. Ive passed your comments to an electronics expert I know. The car, you may know has the earlier version of the OBD port, and only 2 pins. I've noted some audi's have a port on the ecu that services diagnostics. There is no port on my ecu but I do wonder if the way it's set up originnally is to use one of the 4 grouped connections, which in effect doubles as a diagnostic port. The car runs with the current ecu.. No mechanical issues. Don't be misled by the 2.8, v6, that uses a very different Maf and ecu set up.  My main tack will be to clone the new ecu with the old one,  just looking for ways, or companies to do this.