Help With Which Model To Go For

SimonG

Hi, New to the forum and after some advise on which is my best pick for the budget. Really dont mind Diesel/Petrol Spec etc. I have around £30k and just finding theres so many choises and thought id ask here where i could get some sound advice.

Kind Regards in advance

Simon

What age of car are you looking for, depending on how old you are prepared to accept your options can change. For example, an older SQ5 might be the same price as a younger Q5. Insurance would be higher for SQ5 obviously.

Personally, I think the S-Line offers decent spec level and you might be able to get a 4 or 5 year old Q5 around your budget. I saw a few go through BCA recently for £29K (S-Line Q5, 70 plate, 26.8k miles) and £30.7K (S-Line Q5, 70 plate, 16k miles).

Edited by Leaky Sump

Hi Ray. Thanks so much for the reply and yes looking around the S5Q looks very atractive. Do you know anything about the Q5 2.0 TFSIe 50 Black Edition which seems to come up within the budget and a Hybrid?

Kind Regards

Simon

22 hours ago, Leaky Sump said:

What age of car are you looking for, depending on how old you are prepared to accept your options can change. For example, an older SQ5 might be the same price as a younger Q5. Insurance would be higher for SQ5 obviously.

Personally, I think the S-Line offers decent spec level and you might be able to get a 4 or 5 year old Q5 around your budget. I saw a few go through BCA recently for £29K (S-Line Q5, 70 plate, 26.8k miles) and £30.7K (S-Line Q5, 70 plate, 16k miles).

Also would you go Petrol or Diesel? 

Thanks Simon 

Hi Simon,

The type (petrol, diesel, hybrid) of car you get will depend on your mileage.

And what you are willing to sacrifice and how you drive the car.

I do about 15 to 20k+ miles per year, mostly dual carriageways.  So diesel is a no brainer for me.

But i changed my diesel to a hybrid, getting 55mpg with diesel or 35mpg with the hybrid (when using petrol).  But with the hybrid, when i go to work (about 20 miles each way dual carriageway) i can do electric each way which is only about 4p a mile which is reasonable for a SUV.

Thanks, Joe

Thanks Joe, What Hybrid did you go for and have you had any issues as I've seen a few previous threads on reliability? 

Thanks Simon 

Hi and welcome.

If you ever need any help with insurance for whatever model you're looking at then please feel free to drop me a line. I'd be only to pleased to try and help out.

Regards,

Dan. 

Hi Simon

Are you wedded to the idea of buying outright?  I had never done a PCP but last October I took delivery of a brand new 2 litre diesel Q5 sportback with the black pack. 

I did it through drivethedeal.com and had about £9k off list. (There may be other brokers)

My logic was I have a brand new car on a 4 year PCP and when the time comes I can choose to pay off the final payment, return the car or part ex it for another one - and bear in mind there is a new Q5 due out in 2025 so that might influence my eventual decision.

Hope that helps but please shout if I can help further

On 3/21/2024 at 7:32 PM, SimonG said:

Hi Ray. Thanks so much for the reply and yes looking around the S5Q looks very atractive. Do you know anything about the Q5 2.0 TFSIe 50 Black Edition which seems to come up within the budget and a Hybrid?

Kind Regards

Simon

Simon,

I have little knowledge of the hybrid variants so am not able to offer any advice. As others have indicated, the choice between petrol/diesel/hybrid might be based on mileage and journeys. In the past I used to work on 15K miles or above per year go diesel, less than 15K go petrol.

Both the Q5 and SQ5 come in traditional Station Wagon shape and Sportback shape. Personally, I like the Sportback shape but it adds to the price. I think the cost difference when new is about £2500 more for the Sportback version.

If you go for diesel, my choice would be the SQ5 Sportback in the standard "S" spec and not the Vorsprung. You can check what extra packs come with the car on a specific vehicle basis. The standard "S" spec for an SQ5 gets you the full leather seating and S-Line branding I prefer the 3.0L engine in the SQ5 range compared to the 2.0L engine in the Q5 TDI range.

If you go for petrol, my choice would be the S-Line 45 TFSi model, again in Sportback style and also checking if it comes with any extra packs. The standard seating in the Q5 S-Line 45 TFSi model is half leather/half fabric, I think the fabric is "Alcantra"?

Good luck with your search.

Thanks Ray, Looking at your advice im going to go for the petrol version and with my budget of around 30k should be able to get a good low millage 3.0L Petrol 17/18 plate.

Im a heating engineer and spend most of my time in the van so will be nice to have something in the evenings/weekends to look forward to driving.

I used to have an Ariel Atom so having something with a bit more grunt will be good.

Kind Regards

On 3/22/2024 at 10:12 PM, Tygertyger said:

Hi Simon

Are you wedded to the idea of buying outright?  I had never done a PCP but last October I took delivery of a brand new 2 litre diesel Q5 sportback with the black pack. 

I did it through drivethedeal.com and had about £9k off list. (There may be other brokers)

My logic was I have a brand new car on a 4 year PCP and when the time comes I can choose to pay off the final payment, return the car or part ex it for another one - and bear in mind there is a new Q5 due out in 2025 so that might influence my eventual decision.

Hope that helps but please shout if I can help further

Thanks for the different train of thought, ive always paid for everything up front and never thought of getting a car via PCP or another derivertive Interesting.

Will Have a look at it before spending out.

Kind Regards

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/25/2024 at 8:22 AM, SimonG said:

Thanks Ray, Looking at your advice im going to go for the petrol version and with my budget of around 30k should be able to get a good low millage 3.0L Petrol 17/18 plate.

Im a heating engineer and spend most of my time in the van so will be nice to have something in the evenings/weekends to look forward to driving.

I used to have an Ariel Atom so having something with a bit more grunt will be good.

Kind Regards

I went from a 5.5L V8 MB E500(which I owned for 12 years) to my 2017 petrol SQ5 and I love driving it.