2017 C7 2.0 tdi starter motor location

Hi all, 

Anyone know where the starter motor is located on a CNHA engine? Mine is an auto, quattro, and decided to pack in on my driveway @65k miles.

Only info I seem to find are on 3.0 tdi's where it was behind the engine mount and alternator but my alternator is up top. 

Thanks 

3 hours ago, Shuggy81uk said:

Hi all, 

Anyone know where the starter motor is located on a CNHA engine? Mine is an auto, quattro, and decided to pack in on my driveway @65k miles.

Only info I seem to find are on 3.0 tdi's where it was behind the engine mount and alternator but my alternator is up top. 

Thanks 

Hi as you look at the front of the car its at the bottom on the left just above the subframe and you will have to remove the engine mount that side to get it out, yet another superb piece of Audi engineering, the units are made by Nippon Denso and very robust unless you leave the stop/start on all the time which kills them pretty quick, mine lasted 180k.

Steve.

Thanks. I did suspect it was there but I had a look and beside the engine mount is what looks to be the cat (or another part of the exhaust) , so it's very cramped down there! It's a right pain in the !Removed! it seems as a DIY so looks like I'll need to tow it to a garage for them to do it. Engine will need to be lifted a bit I'd imagine too. 

31 minutes ago, Shuggy81uk said:

Thanks. I did suspect it was there but I had a look and beside the engine mount is what looks to be the cat (or another part of the exhaust) , so it's very cramped down there! It's a right pain in the !Removed! it seems as a DIY so looks like I'll need to tow it to a garage for them to do it. Engine will need to be lifted a bit I'd imagine too. 

Hi thats bang on I supported my engine on a gearbox jack it just gives you a couple of inches wiggle room which where the starter is positioned is a godsend, you can get it out without removing the DPF/CAT but I bet they still swear a lot.

Steve.

Do you know what the sockets are called needed to remove the bolts holding the starter motor in? They look like inversed triple squares, 18 and 16 I think I read. 

22 hours ago, Shuggy81uk said:

Do you know what the sockets are called needed to remove the bolts holding the starter motor in? They look like inversed triple squares, 18 and 16 I think I read. 

Hi mine were spline bits bought a set of 1/2 inch drive off of eBay quite cheap American Pro and they take plenty of action.

Steve.