A7 2016 Rear Spoiler Fault

NJP10

Hi Guys,

I’ve got an issue with my rear spoiler, whilst driving on the motorway, twice now, I get a message on the dash stating the rear spoiler fault. It stays open and the switch doesn’t do anything, even after switching off the engine the spoiler remains open. After the cars been parked up for a few hour, it resets itself and remains operational. This hasn’t occurred on local journeys yet.

On 4/2/2024 at 10:07 PM, Steve Q said:

I'd recommend a diagnostic check to see if any fault codes flag up. 

It could be an issue with the switch. 

Hi Steve, thank you for your reply, I’ve recently had my battery replaced, which seemed to have been the factory fitted one. The garage thought it may have been part of the cause for the spoiler fault, but it still seems to be doing it. If it was the switch would it not do it randomly even on local journeys?

You're welcome 🙂 I'm assuming the battery was coded to the car? 

I'd recommend a diagnostic check to see if any fault codes flag up 

On 4/4/2024 at 3:29 PM, Steve Q said:

You're welcome 🙂 I'm assuming the battery was coded to the car? 

I'd recommend a diagnostic check to see if any fault codes flag up 

Yes I ended up getting a battery from Audi (Varta) making sure it definitely coded up to the car. 

I asked my mechanic and he said :-there was an intermittent code for the spoiler motor but a static code for a voltage too low code for the spoiler. He was under the impression that a new battery would have resolved this, but obviously not!!

I'll admit batteries cause electrical gremlins when they start to fail but usually very intermittent ones. As I say could it be the switch that controls the spoiler? 

Or the sensor that controls it automatically raising/lowering 

26 minutes ago, Steve Q said:

I'll admit batteries cause electrical gremlins when they start to fail but usually very intermittent ones. As I say could it be the switch that controls the spoiler? 

Or the sensor that controls it automatically raising/lowering 

So Steve I’m I right in saying it’s only manually operated via the switch. It doesn’t raise automatically when you’re going above a certain speed?

Like I said before the fault doesn’t appear on local journeys 🤔

7 hours ago, NJP10 said:

So Steve I’m I right in saying it’s only manually operated via the switch. It doesn’t raise automatically when you’re going above a certain speed?

Like I said before the fault doesn’t appear on local journeys 🤔

That I'm not sure. If you go over 70mph it should raise automatically if it has that functionality. 

But as you can manually control it via a switch then it's worth considering the switch to be at fault. Similar to how headlight switches causing light issues when they fail if that makes sense? 

As I say it's just an educated guess.