2017 Audi a3 rattle

dai77

I have recently noticed an annoying rattle that seems to be coming from the front dash area of the car. It isn't there until the car warms upto temperature and sounds like a rasping noise when putting my foot on the accelerator. I was wondering if it could be exhaust related or maybe a heat shield rubbing on something. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

4 hours ago, dai77 said:

I have recently noticed an annoying rattle that seems to be coming from the front dash area of the car. It isn't there until the car warms upto temperature and sounds like a rasping noise when putting my foot on the accelerator. I was wondering if it could be exhaust related or maybe a heat shield rubbing on something. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Hi being as you omitted to give if your car is petrol/diesel, if its diesel it might bee a boost pipe has split.

Sorry. It is a diesel. Would a boost pipe be linked to it only happening once the car has warmed up?. 

20 hours ago, dai77 said:

Sorry. It is a diesel. Would a boost pipe be linked to it only happening once the car has warmed up?. 

Hi yes as after the car has been running and up to temperature the rubber boost pipes expand and become softer so any splits/bad joints start letting air out, my guess would be a split in any pipe from the turbo down its an easy spot as where the leak is will be oily and without getting yourself caught on anything you can usually feel the air escaping, the other way is get an empty spray bottle and fill it with water and a drop of washing up liquid, shake it up and spray the foam on the hoses, if its leaking you will soon see the foam move.

Steve.