Newbie High Beam Question...

paveguts

I'm confused... (nothing new there... ) Being new to Audi, and the Q7 - there are a few Audi-isms that I don't understand... One being the high beams.

When selected the dipped produce more light, but the main beams do not come on. Does anyone know why this is, is this a design function or a malfunction...?? the pics below were taken with the high beams turned on... Please advise.

post-1050-0-47799000-1354485917_thumb.jppost-1050-0-07716700-1354485925_thumb.jp

That's a weird one. I've heard stories that LED headlights are brighter dipper than when on full beam but I can't see LED's in your pictures.

I hope someone on here has a good answer but this has me stumped.

have you checked your fuses for high beam? and ensure they are the correct ampage fuse.

other than that the relay, or the switch. I doubt the bulbs would be blown at the same time.

From what I've read in the brochure, the assist function raises the headlights to produce better vision and lights up more of the road further ahead. To prevent glare and blinding on coming drivers the sensors detect cars coming towards the vehicle and lower the headlights again. It doesn't mention any additional lamps being used.

I haven't collected my Q7 yet so I haven't experienced this and my TT doesn't have it. One thing I found with the TT is that the Hid headlights are very good on dipped beam but when raised to the main beam position they seem to loose a lot of the intensity as the light output is spread over a wider beam pattern.

I hear you. My ignorance stems from the extra main beam (inner) which never comes on... I've yet to chase the fuses, etc - though it is on my list ...

there may have been a light mod completed somewhere along the way... I've yet to find any doc / web data to support the 'unplugging' the redundant main beam bulb...

Search continues.

Thanks to all who have offered explanations, they are very welcome.

Now that I've collected my Q7 and fiddled with the controls, the headlights operate like the TT I had. The HID's are a single lamp.

When the headlamp flash or main beam is selected the lamp is tilted using the motors.

You'll notice when you first switch them on, the headlamp does a little dance and sets the headlamp beam level each time they are turned on.

HID lamps take a few seconds to warm up so it's quicker to move the lamp than switch another lamp on.