Stop Start function on my Q5 TDI with s-tronic

barniethelab

Have had my Q5 177PS TDI s-tronic since March, and absolutely love it, apart from the stop/start function

I just don't think this function works well with the s-tronic box

- engine stops when you don't want it to  i.e. if you have to brake hard in town and stop for a few seconds.  When it goes again the power steering can sometimes take a split second to kick in

- when stopping to park, engine stops when you brake to stop, and then sometimes starts again when you move the lever to P

- Having to watch how hard you press the brake pedal when you don't want the engine to stop

I am a low mileage driver, and do not commute on roads where there are frequent tailbacks (where the system probably comes into its own)

Having to remember to switch on the button to disable the function at the start of every journey is a chore

I regularly drive my boss's company car - an A3 170 Quattro with manual gearbox, and the stop start function seems to work much better with the manual box  i.e. engine goes off when you select neutral and release clutch pedal

Is there any way you the function can be adjusted so it does not kick in so quickly when you brake hard and stop.  Can the function be permanently disabled ??

Does anyone agree with my thoughts on this function ??

Funny you say that because I actually think the system work better with the S-tronic gearbox, because you don't have to put it in neutral for it to cut out, but I drive a manual day to day so don't have the daily run experience with it that you do.  Peoples opinion on start/stop seems divided full stop.  I think the s-tronic version would be better if it stayed cut out when you applied the parking brake and lifted your foot off the foot brake.

Unfortunately there are no adjustments and the system can not be permanently switched off as this would affect the stated combined mpg/Co2 figure, which would affect the tax etc (a bit like the way ESP can be disabled but always resumes after an ignition cycle or it would affect the euro NCAP rating).

I have noticed that since Audi introduced the system in 2010 model year, the system has improved greatly, so hopefully it will be refined further in the coming years.

Tech