What yous think guys? Starting Problem when cold

GAZ-MAN

Hi all, i recently got a q7 3.0tdi 2007 few months ago and ive only started to notice that in the mornings it takes a while to start it turns over for about anything between 5/10sec and when it does theres a white/grey puff of smoke but once its started its fine the rest of the day/evening then leave it over night and same happens, i put glowplugs and fuel filter last week and still the same, my pal mentioned egr cooler maybe starting to go cause i noticed i had to top my coolant up couple weeks ago and it took a good litre and half of water, symptoms of the cooler starting to go yous think? thanks

• Like 2

Hi Gaz, remove the temp sensor from the EGR cooler.  It has an orange connector off the top of my head.  It is quite easy to access.  If it is covered in coolant residue, the EGR cooler is leaking.

Tech

• 2 weeks later...

Do you get a big cloud of white smoke out of the exhaust after leaving it idling for 5 minutes or so..

if you do you need injectors

I say this because it sounds like a similar problem to mine (Q7 2006) hard to start in the morniings

6 new injectors @ £360 each and 4 hours labour from Audi Stockport ... OUCH !! :(

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all.  I have a 2006 Q7 3.0 TDI SE, 60k miles.  I had the original battery changed around 18 months ago to try and resolve slow starting (5+ seconds of cranking and eventually white smoke, both in summer and winter).  This cranking caused the EPS/ ABS warnings on the dash, as the long cranking caused the battery voltage to drop.  Fuel additives, injector cleaners and a new fuel filter were all done yet still the car would be slow to start on the initial start after standing for 10 hours or so, and occasionally would not even start due to the flattened battery.

On my Q7s only visit to an Audi dealer they kept the car overnight during investigations and diagnosed a weak battery, potentially caused by the short trips.  Weekend trickle charging and a battery jump pack in the boot were kept for reassurance, but this was far from acceptable.  I didn't believe the dealer diagnosis of needing another new battery.

Eventually I found on a forum that a Q7 in Sydney described the same symptoms as mine, and this problem was solved by replacing the starter motor.  Last week I replaced the starter motor on my car and am very pleased to share that the starting is now much stronger and almost immediate, cranking with more urgency regardless of the -4 degree mornings we had recently had in the UK.  

On reflection I wonder if the failing battery from 18 months ago damaged the starter motor in some way, since my starting issues coincide to around that time.