A6 T SE Rain getting in causing all electrical problems

adamwilliams

Hi all

I have recently purchased an A6 T SE estate and have a problem with water getting into the car interior and pooling under the passenger seat and rear nearside footwell. The interior electrical and alarm control box is located there and the water is causing a short of some kind making all the indicator lights come on permanently, including when the ignition is off and keys removed making it necessary to disconnect the battery each time I park up.

It is very difficult to ascertain exactly where the water is getting in. Has anyone experienced a similar problem? are there any places where water leaks are known to occur? 

any advice would be much appreciated.

many thanks

Adam

Open the bonnet and remove the large plastic cover between the bulkhead and the base of the windscreen, as though you were going to access the battery. Check for water building up in that chamber. If it has (which it probably has) remove the blocked drain grommet underneath the battery (you will have to move the battery out of the way first).

Thank you, the door seals appear in good order, after applying chalk they seem to be sealing all round. The battery compartment is dry, the drain below the battery is also clear.  The only solution I can think of now is to take up the carpet clear up all the excess water and get inside the car while someone hoses it down from outside to see from which direction the water comes in hopefully giving a clue as to where it is getting in.

Any other ideas most welcome

• 4 months later...

I suspect this has been resolved, but I wanted to add that I had the same problem on my 02 1.9 TDI Sport.

The pollen filter seals had totally deteriorated so water was coming in to the passenger footwell through that. Changed the filter and it has seemed fine since, although we haven't had any of that crazy rain we had over winter.

One other thing to add. My indicators were also on constantly due to the water in the comfort control module. I pulled out the warning light fuse which meant I could keep driving it and also park it without the battery draining (although the indicators wouldn't click in time for some reason). I used a VAX wet hoover to suck as much rainwater out as possible, then dried it out by leaving the doors open in direct sunlight as long as I could. Cross fingers it has dried out fine now.