Newbie - looking for first Q7 advice

thecount

Hello to you all!

Just embarking on looking for a Q7 for the wife and in a bit of a dilemma, ideally there are a few essentials she would like:

Keyless start

Newer frontage if possible with day lights etc (2010+?)

Reverse Camera (unless this can be fitted afterwards by a company cheaply?)

Panoramic roof / sunroofs

Phone pack and music pack of some description

Ibis white

At the moment, I can see high mileage models at around the lower end of £15k (older shape) or newer shape models (2009+) at £25k

My question on this is what should I be looking for at each of the different mileage points, what to look out for, what can I do to give me peace of mind?

Thanks for any advice anyone can give me.

• 4 weeks later...

Owned a 2006 Q7 for a couple of years now and I have to say my X5 was far more reliable and simply never went wrong.. this Q7 in my ownership has had 6 new injectors.. all aircon flap motors behind the dashboard replaced and as I type is now in for a replacement alternator plus there is a compressor fault showing on the suspension side ... all this has amounted too several thousand pounds in repair bills

So.. what should you be looking for .. a late as possible model with 65k miles and preferably with the improved milage and lower tax band.. FULL service history and stamped main dealer book.. with a years warraty thrown in at the very least.. Panoramic Sun Roof (use mine all the time) a Tow Bar .. (occasionally comes in handy) ... Bluetooth phone system (must have).. 7 seats makes for a massive carrying capacity.. but in my opinion ( not all will agree) Keyless Go / Keyless Entry (is a nice to have) but can be dangerous with children around unless the key is well away from the vehicle sensor.. and the MMI unit is not as complicated to fathom out as some will have you believe but the Sound System is great ..plus tales of severe front tyre wear I don't understand as mine are as good as new after 15k

My Q7 engine has a Tunit Chip which definately increases mid range punch and improves consumption slightly but a slightly mute point as there is plenty of grunt in the 3 litre TDI anyway .. but straight line stability is superb and the vehicle is so comfortable for long distances aided by the seat height.. plus Sports Mode on the box combined with the Dynamic Suspension setting will have your wife smiling all the way around the twisty stuff.. i've threatened to go back to an X5 .. but for all it's faults I still have this machine.. but also lucky enough to own an AMG 63 Merc too.. find a good Q7 and you won't go far wrong