Head Unit Replacement

Andreus84

Hi.

I bought my wife a 2011 Audi A3 Sport and am wanting to upgrade her headunit for one which does Sat Nav and everything else,

I have see a few on eBayhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-2003-2011-Car-Stereo-DVD-Player-XTRONS-Radio-GPS-Navigation-CANBUS-USB-/281399128758?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4184b1f2b6

Has anyone had any experience with these?

Were they easy to fit? Was the sound as good?

The A3 has active rear speakers so i know i need to get the lead for this - but is it easy to incorporate?

Cheers

• 10 months later...

HI, I did buy and install this.

It was fairly easy to fit and install with the additional purchased wires.

Only thing against it is that it doesn't control the built in sub as well as the stock head unit and this really confuses me! the standard head unit would somehow send only a lpf to the sub, now i am unsure on how to do this without rewiring the whole sub and amp-ing it seperatly

Tbh I don't know anything about subwoofers, all I need is a reasonable stereo, sat-nah and possibly Bluetooth for the phone/ music-a jack would be cool if no BT is available.

I looked on eBay and there are loads of different ones that all say they are for the A3, but don't you have to get the car programmed or something? The choice is a little dizzying!

Hey again Steve, lets try to make things a bit easier for you.

We have a 2011 Audi 2,0tdi sport, it has active rear speakers, you will need to know if yours has this as if you do, and you don't buy the wires to connect, then you won't have working rear speakers. To find this out play your stereo, open your boot, and see if there is a sub playing on the passenger side, if its hard to hear put your hand on the boot lining and if its vibrating then you'll need additional wires.

We fitted this one, but got it from eBay as Maps were included:
http://xtrons.co.uk/px71aa3-7-inch-touch-screen-dvd-player-with-gps-navigation-dual-channel-canbus-for-audi-a3-s3.html

It was simple, no programming necessary and was a straight swap.

Ours is a single canbus version so we lost the radio information from the dash, although you can get some now which don't have this issue:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Head-Unit-XTRONS-7-Digital-Screen-Car-CD-DVD-Player-Stereo-GPS-Sat-Nav-Audi-A3-/331347915823?hash=item4d25dff42f

It plays CD's, Radio, DVD, SD Card - connects via Bluetooth - it also works with the center column AUX input.

It works with the phone well & the GPS is pretty handy.

With EQ you can play around with the sound to get it how you want it.

it is a simple fit, take the old one out and plug in the new one, however if you have active rear speakers you'll also need to have the adapter, just can't remember which one from the top of my head. Need any other info just shout.

Thanks Andreus

Just bought the car and ordered the unit, I shall see how it goes. I guess I will check for the sub in the boot tomorrow, to be honest I haven't even turned the radio on yet!

Steve

• 11 months later...