Musty/ Damp Smell

Wesley949

Hi there.

I have a 2014 (64-plate) Audi A4 2.0 TDI S-Line which has covered just over 4400-miles.  Last few weeks, not all the time, I have been smelling a musty, damp smell seconds after I engage the Air Con switch.  I very much doubt that the Pollen Filter needs changing, but was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue.

My car is booked in to the Audi Dealer/Garage in mid-April (its the earliest I can get time off) for them to look at, as Ive also experienced an issue one morning when the Windscreen was iced-up, but the windscreen from the interior was so heavily condensated that would not budge even with the heater and A/C on full.  I wiped some away and then drove off only for it to come back and I had to pull over.  I used a cloth to wipe the whole interior windscreen and the cloth was soaking wet and I had to rinse it out afterwards.

I have never experienced that much condensation before in my previous cars (all Ford) and the lack of a Heated Windscreen is a down-side but could this condensation be related to the damp smell emitting every now and then?  I have checked the carpets and they seem dry, but something isn't right.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well, 2-days in the Audi Service garage, all test and diagnostics have been carried out and no sign of the issue reported.  Even the mechanic took my car home, so he could test it during the morning start-up, and again, nothing was found.

I now have my vehicle back, and the smell has not portrayed since.  Just need to carry on as normal and go from there.

However, in those 2-days, I loved the Audi A6 Ultra (190PS) Courtesy car.  Lovely motor but the downside was it had a manual gearbox.  Six-Months of driving an Automatic, i'm spoiled.  With the A6, I stalled it twice, forgot to push down the clutch pedal at the traffic lights, oops.  Maybe my next Courtesy car would be one of the Audi RS-range, LOL.

Check all of your door seals are on correctly, maybe buy some silica gel that'll absorb moisture HTH Tymm!

Cheers fella!  I believe all the seals are spot-on, no issues at all, even the Air Con condenser/ system is working fine with no leaks found.

Might look in to the Silica Gel issue, cheers.

Its pretty common for musty smell when the aircon is swtiched on. It's actually a build up of bacteria which build up on the pollen filter.

But I am surpised that you have it on such a new car.

• 3 weeks later...

I get the same with my 13 plate black edition which is still new to me. This musty aircon thing I've experienced with various new vehicle as well so wouldn't worry.

P.s @Wesley949 made me laugh how you said you had been spoilt with an auto....Sounds like you've got your wires crossed with the 'old man auto' LOL