Why most Audi A3 are categorised?

charithf

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a Audi A3 5DR Deisel 2007 or 2009 for less than 7K. Is this possible? I have found few cars on few sites.

what i realised was that compared to other models most Audi A3's have been insurance categorised as C or D. Is there a specific reason for this? Are the parts expensive? or Expensive to repair?

Any advice would be helpful as I dont want to get it written off for a slight dent in the corner after buying an A3.

Hi there, you may have to be more specific, on Autotrader, there are 189 Cars that would fit your criteria, are you looking for a certain trim or very low mileage? I personally think you can find a decent one in your budget. Would you consider a Golf or a Beemer. Audi A3s are nice, but not the last word in handling. You'd get an older, half decent TT for that, is diesel that necessary, do you do a horrendous amount of miles? I know this is a forum for A3s, I had one for 5 minutes! A diesel 320 dci would be a lovely purchase and would be smoother, better handling and quieter.....just a thought.

Thanks for the information. Yes a lot of cars come on autotrader. but I am looking for a car with less mileage. There are cars available, but my concern is that most of them are categorised with C or D. I am just trying to find out the reason behind them been categorised more than other vehicles in the market. was wondering whether it is due to price of parts etc. or any other specific reason. I'm not looking for an A3 to have the effect of a sports car. I want to use it as my family car. Just that i want to get an Audi and this is the only one which fits into my budget with less miles and much newer. Otherwise I would have to settle with an A4 but an older model.

No I do not do a lot of miles. Do you recomend a petrol in that case? I am more worried about repairs/costs rather than performance of the car to go fast. :)

I think for resale, diesels are good, but they cost more in the first place. They often have shorter service intervals, can cost more to service and cost more for fuel, per litre. They do, of course, do more miles to the gallon, but they are still less refined, particularly on start up, plus the smell of diesel on hands if you are not too careful with the gas pump, is something to think of. I think you need to do some seriously high mileage to pay back the initial extra purchase price. The one real positive I would say about my 2.0tdi that I have was the wonderful torque. That shove in the back at low to medium speeds, when you put your foot down was impressive. I had reliability issues with my Audi and when it was written off, I bought a nigh on perfect 2007 Honda Accord 2.0 VTEC on 53k, which returns 43 mpg and can go like stink! 0-60...8.5 secs 138 mph top speed! It is near silent to drive and is faultlessly reliable. It's not as fashionable as the A3, but that did 51mpg and I had a nightmare with the electrics....but I just think I got a 'Friday afternoon' car. Get an Audi, by all means, but consider an FSi or Tfsi if they make them at your budget. Good luck, you'll get something to be really proud off for that money @jealous.com

I might be getting closer to my previous question... why did they write off your audi a3? was the cost of repair considerably higher? I dont want my car to be written off and be on the loosing end coz my target is to get a good resalable car, use and maintain well and sell it in good condition with the least loss that i could have. your tips above are really helpful. I am re-considering petrol vs diesel due to the fact that i'm not running a lot of mileage. lets see

Yes, really sorry, I've not answered your first query...my car was written off and all that was damaged was my rear near side wing and the rear bumper, it didn't even look that dramatic! I can't get hold of the damage photos, just yet, but it didn't look like a writ off! The panel on the 3 door extends from the B pillar to the rear bumper. Someone did say that it is feasible to cut the metal at the mid crease line and put in a half panel, but it would have to have the skills of a Rolls-Royce welder to do such a great job. I bought my 54 plate 70 k mile 2.0 TDi for an admittedly bargain £3200, but the money I received after the cherry picker ran down the side of my car, was £3900, but I guess they did not think it worth fixing. Sometimes I wish I'd ticked the box to say that I would keep the scrapped car. I can't help thinking that Audi passed it onto someone who did what you maybe suggesting, and just Cat D'd it and sold it on for £2500 or something, or is that me being a wee bit mischievous? Anyway, I was confused, but happy with my payout and I bought the Honda to replace it. Incidentally, I struggled to see anything under £4200 for the same spec up here in Fife, the prices seem to firm up between getting the Audi in October 2014 and January 2015! If you want a run down of what to look for, from me, re purchasing a diesel A3, feel free to get in touch. They are a great design, but have certain things worth looking out for, I've had most of them, haha. Your budget will get a fine one, though.